Stem Identification Help

Users who are viewing this thread

AAProps

Reaction score
This is probably a shot in the dark, however I'm hoping someone might be able to help identify this stem. I recently purchased a home where the previous owner attempted to work on the bathtub plumbing. I assume they didn't know what they were doing and twisted the ends off both stems when trying to remove/repair.

I couldn't locate the broken ends - I assume they were thrown away. Unfortunately there are no identification markings on the piece I have left, and I can't count splines. I also don't know how long the broken piece was.

Here's what I know:

The diameter of the stem is 7/16" at the point it was broken off.
The stem measures 1 1/4" from the tip to the bottom of the threads.
This is from an older house and the plumbing looks original (circa 1940s-1950s) and is a standard 2 knob with tub spout (no shower diverter). I am also missing all the other finishing pieces that goes with it (knobs, tubes, flanges, etc) so I will need a complete rebuild kit.

view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8EcCGEn7Fjla3NHNjZZejhHMGFPUkFEc1Q4cjhOU2FWM1BV/view?usp=sharing

view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8EcCGEn7FjlQjhmWGtQMHBxdEdMb2dUa0h2Yjk4a3hQbzNn/view?usp=sharing

The local plumbing supplies were stumped and recommended that I rip it all out and start over as it would be cheaper and easier. I don't doubt that the new parts would be cheaper, but I really want to try to preserve the old tile work unless it is an absolute last resort. I also can not access the back side for work (another bathroom & tub on the other side of the wall). Is this a hopeless cause? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"Is this a hopeless cause?"

I'm afraid so.
If you have to cut the tile, I can only imagine what you will find behind it . But that's what you have to do to replace the rough in.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Given the comfort and safety improvements that come with a new single-handle shower valve, I would retrofit what you have and be done with it. All of the major manufacturers have remodel plates available for such a replacement, and if there is the possibility of access from the backside of the wet wall, it is really an easy job.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks