Steel of Acrylic Tub

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by JEP, Nov 20, 2005.

1. JEP

JEP New Member

I will be replacing the current steel bathtub in my bathroom. Cast iron is not an option for a few reasons cost etc. My choices are Steel or Acrylic. Is one better than the other? What are the pros and cons?

I know both should be bedded in mortar. What kind of mortar is the best to use?

Thanks John
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

tubs

The only two advantages to steel are that it is cheap and it is light, so it can be carried easier. I am not very fond of acrylic either, but if those are the only two choices you have, then it is the only one you should use.
  3. JEP

JEP New Member

Thanks hj

Excluding cast iron, are there other choices I'm missing that I should be considering?

Thanks John
  4. JEP

JEP New Member

5. JEP

JEP New Member

6. sulconst2

sulconst2 New Member

316 lbs for the kohler. thats a hump up the stairs. hard enough taking one down. american standard makes an americast tub. solid and lighter. good thing about acrylic, besides being light, is the color goes all the way thru. as long as the tub is installed correctly you would be ok. would not recommend the lasco for your own home. maybe a job were customer wants the something for nothing!
  7. JEP

JEP New Member

I know getting the Kohler cast iron tub up the stairs and in place will not be easy, but I'm thinking that down the road I won't be saying I should have. :)

It seems some folks here are not crazy about acrylic and steel tubs.
  8. plumbernj

plumbernj In the Trades

Get an Americast

This is easy... get an Americast tub. Home Depot sells them.