Steel entry door weatherstripping - where to find?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
I have a steel entry door, with steel jamb, between the garage and kitchen. The weatherstripping is worn out and I want to replace it. However, I can't find a manufacturer's name on the door or jamb, and I can't get the old weatherstripping out without completely destroying it.

I've searched and haven't come up with anything promising. Any suggestions where to start? The weatherstripping is an extruded elastomer/rubber material, with a "bulb" shape. It seems to be glued/adhered to the steel jamb, but it's hard to tell without taking it apart.

Thanks for any input.

jkmdotu

Reaction score
I've used a weatherstrip material sometimes refered to as "smoke seal" on hollow metal frames before.. it's a rubber bulb type profile and comes with self adhering tape that sticks to the frame. I've bought it at commercial door and hardware suppliers. never seen it at a home center but you never know....good luck

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
jkm, thanks for the reply. Did you use something like this?

http://www.specialtydoors.com/images/smokeseals1.gif

I pulled a little of the weatherstrip out of the jamb, and it is simply pushed into a channel. The seal is extruded rubber, with a barbed shape to hold it in the channel. I think it's called a kerf-in door gasket. But what I find on the internet has the kerf in the stop, rather than the jamb. I need a seal that pushes into the jamb kerf/rabbet. The slot/kerf/rabbet is about 3/8" wide.

Still looking but would appreciate any leads. Thanks.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you happen to get Fine Homebuilding, there's a company that advertises that sort of stuff. You might also check www.rockler.com, they carry some stuff like that. I haven't looked through their catalog recently. If you're lucky, you might live near one of their stores - there's two within 40 miles or so of my house.

jkmdotu

Reaction score
Chassis
Yeah the stuff I was thinking of was similar to the profile S88 in the link you gave...sounds like you need a different animal though..wil the normal kerf type for wood jambs work in your situation? If so, thaats pretty common in the home centers.
cya
JK

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Looked at Lowe's today for weatherstripping. Almost zero that came close to what I have. I'll try to post a pic.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I have got the same problem, but worse. A steel door and jam with no weather strip.

Most strip is screw on. I am not going to do that with this door.

There must be a self-adhesive solution somewhere.

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
I've learned that I have a Therma Tru 90 minute fire door with steel frame. I looked up the number on the i.d. tag but it didn't come up on Therma Tru's website. I will call them tomorrow.

The real stumbling block is that the weatherstripping I have fits into a 7/16" kerf, and the kerf is parallel with the door plane, or perpendicular to the jamb. This is 90 degrees from all other kerf weatherstripping I have seen in HD/Lowe's, which is parallel with the jamb and perpendicular to the door plane.

So the kerf orientation, and the kerf size are my two issues. I'll find out when I call Therma Tru if this is a discontinued design. Hopefully they can steer me to replacement weatherstrip.

tiptop

Reaction score
Steel Door Bottom weatherstripping

This link may be what you are looking for. My steel door uses the No. MC under the Product Description.

Last edited:

mrzween

Reaction score
Weatherstripping

Hello. I do not see the web link you mention. Thanks.

drbax

Reaction score
I am searching for this similar issue as well. I have a steel door in the entry way between my house and my garage. THere are no markings on the door to indicate the manufacturer. The door is steel. The old door bottom slides in and out from the bottom of the door. Anything I have found at HD or Lowes or Ace has the striaght up tabs that slide into the kerf. I need something on the top that will slide in that looks like an upside down "L".

I'd love some help on this.

db

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Generally the weatherstipping under the threshhold can just be pulled out, buy new at one of the box stores by comparing what you have. You don't necessarily need to find the exact shape, they tend to get squished when they make the seal.

The same almost applies to the sides and top of the door frame with the exception that you might have to (gently) pull the trim up slightly as those peices are often nailed in (but not throught) under the trim.

drbax

Reaction score
Steel Orange:

That doesn't apply here because I have purchased all possibilities at HD and Lowes to try them. The closest that I found has two strips sticking up and they are about 1/2 inch or maybe 3/8 inch. Mine can not be longer than 1/8 inch. When I use the others it doesn't squish...the door just doesn't shut.

I added pictures...showing how it slides out (http://www.afsportsbets.com/pictures/DSCF1325.jpg) and the straight on view showing the limited opening that i have (http://www.afsportsbets.com/pictures/DSCF1331.jpg)

db

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Interesting. My garage/house door is steel as well but the weatherstripping isn't part of the door, it's part of the jam/frame assembly.

I see your problem but I am of no help there. Good luck.

Mettie

Reaction score
Chassis, did you ever track down that door bottom? Think I have same exact door and same exact problem. If you did, please share, getting cold. Thanks.

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Mettie,

No, I have not gotten anywhere on this issue, but sure wish I had. The door I have was manufactured in Colorado Springs, CO according to the manufacturer's decal on the hinge edge of the door. I looked on Therma Tru's website and nothing in Colorado Springs is mentioned. My next step is to call Therma Tru, still have not managed to make that phone call yet.

amyjoe108

Reaction score
I have same door. Looks like PEASE DOOR company. They are OOB, but seem to exist to sell parts. Bottoms seem expensive, $20. Try Googel PEASE DOOR.

CarlH

Reaction score
I have same door. Looks like PEASE DOOR company. They are OOB, but seem to exist to sell parts. Bottoms seem expensive, $20. Try Googel PEASE DOOR.

Not so much out of business, but Pease was bought by Pella some years back. You can contact Pella for service: http://pressroom.pella.com/fast_facts/143/
I have purchased perimeter seals from HD that would fit my Pease door. They usually have a limited selection, as in they only carry one color. In my local HD, I think the were in a PVC pipe mounted to one of the shelves. You can also find them online. A quick search for Qlon (brand of perimeter seals) provided this site: http://q-lon.net/ Honestly, the Q-lon seals are probably much better than the ones the came on the door. For the bottom sweep, you'll probably have to contact a Pella dealer. I had two Pease exterior doors on my house and replaced both of them. They both had water intrusion problems. One leaked water at the sill and the other had water leaking in through the glass which rotted the wood core and bottom of the jamb.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks