Steaming hot water from cold water tap?

Users who are viewing this thread

sunflowerstudio

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am getting steaming hot cloudy water from cold water faucet. I live Martindale, Tx and we have been affected by flooding this week. I know the water tables as well as the well have been affected.

I am concerned about the safety issues of the hot water from well, is it an electrical error? The water will alternate from clear to cloudy, and when it is clear it is cool then heats up again.

Any hope that well return to normal after all of the excess water settles?

I rent a cabin on a ranch and the owner has offered to switch to city water, but I actually prefer using the well water if possible.

Thanks!

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Did your water heater go under water ?

Or your well control pump relay or motor ? Is the pump submersible ? Is your well water tank Hot ?

Good Luck.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
If a submersible pump does not shut off, possibly due to a hole in the drop pipe, that will heat the water. I suspect there could be a similar thing with a jet pump. Is your pump shutting off? What does the pressure gauge show, and what is the normal cutoff and cut-on pressures?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You should check to see if your well pump is running without ever shutting off. More than likely your house has a recirculation system with a faulty check valve or a faulty shower valve that is allowing the how water to cross over into the cold water piping.

Anytime your well head has been underwater, it should be tested for contamination, but this has nothing to do with it being hot.

sunflowerstudio

Reaction score
Wow, thanks so much! Sounds like the flood and rains have done more damage than I suspected. Looks like switching over to city water may be the only option.

I know it is not safe for everyday use right now, was hoping things would clear up after everything had dried out.

Really appreciate this info!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
No, you are not making any sense. There might not be anything wrong with the well. The problem needs to be diagnosed properly or it will cost you more in the long run. Hooking up to city water will not be likely to solve anything.

sunflowerstudio

Reaction score
I am not making much sense probably because I am a city girl and do not know anything about the real mechanics of well water. I rent the cabin, and do not even know where the well is.

Today, I determined it seems that there was crossover somewhere in the line with the hot water heater because after I ran the hot water until it was cold, I tested the cold water faucet and it was cold.

Now I am trying to figure out how to purify the water enough just to wash dishes. I have been boiling the water, it looks like is some white sediment, it may just be excess calcium, which was always present in the water before this.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you are using a well, you should be able to read the pressure gauge. What that does can offer a clue. You should a also know where the switch to turn up the pump is.

And you should have a method of knowing if the pump is on. You might listen at the well cap. You could learn to use an appropriate meter. If you are going to check and diagnose, fine . If you get somebody to come check your system, that's good. Or you could get the city water.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
It is probably just the Septic tank boiling off into the water supply.

It may get better now the water is receding.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks