Steam Shower

Users who are viewing this thread

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'll be doing my first steam shower tomorrow for a regular customer. Tried to beg off, but he wants me to do it. I don't think it's that big a deal, but nevertheless I've never done one.

There's good access to wiring and water lines behind the shower wall, he says.

Any words of wisdom from those with experience would be appreciated.

Meantime, I'll be perusing U-tube.

Thanks muchly.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I would not touch it unless every square inch of the space is properly waterproofed. Too many horror stories about mold and rot.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Actually, I misspoke. A clue to my level of expertise.
I'll be installing the steam generator. The enclosure is already there. Hopefully they took all necessary precautions to prevent problems later.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
mrSteam.JPG
Does shower have steam pipe and control wires/panel already installed? Is the electrical (220V) already in place?

Assuming yes, then you would just need to connect steam generator outlet to the steam pipe going to shower (obviously) and connect the control panel (and temp sensor) to the generator. The generator should have a pan under it with drain in case of leakage, and there should be a high temp/pressure safety valve that needs to be plumbed, and it many have a auto-flush (or manual drain line) that needs to be plumbed. So that's four lines to be connected or plumbed.

The TPV drain can not be plumbed directly to house drain, so on my install the TPV and the pan drain go to the outside of house (similar to how my water heater is installed). The pan drain could be plumbed to house drain but then it would not be letting HO know if there was a slow leak, so in that case you would want to install a water alarm in the pan.

EDIT: Added copy of "Mr Steam" brand plumbing notes. Which reminded me that on this brand you may also need to add a pressure reducing valve on the inlet (supply) line since household water pressure may be too high.

Last edited:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Totally from scratch. Porcelain tile to boot.

Couldn't finish today, but I got the generator placed and the steam pipe installed. Did the drain line and almost got the supply line installed. The temperature sensor and touch pad are installed. Just need to tie in the supply, hook up the pad to the generator and run the 22o from one of the panels, which are totally loaded.

On the utility room side, there's a floor hub with a trap feeder, two water heaters and plenty of opportunities to hook up the supply, and the two electric panels are just across the room. The shower wall is accessible from the utility room by removing a couple of strips of insulation. Could have been worse.

Join us right here again tomorrow evening for another whine fest. Thanks for the input, all.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Had four other calls today and couldn't get back to the steam shower.

In the meantime, there were half a dozen rules concerning the placement of the steam spout, the touch-pad, and the temperature sensor. We broke the blue blazing hell out of all those rules. Everything ended up on the same wall as the shower valve since it was the only one we had access to from behind.

I should finish up this little experiment by the end of the week, and we'll see if it's going to work for the guy once everything's hooked up. He is calling the shots, by the way.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
My steam spout is on the same wall as controller/sensor (temp sensor is built into control panel on mine). The only rule I know of is that steam spout needs to be near the base of shower and the temp sensor can not be in the direct path of the steam.

Where/how did you plump the TPV discharge line?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
floor hub between the water heaters catches the t/p lines and the AC condensate, with room for one more

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Finished up this morning and checked it out. Looked like it was doing everything it was supposed to be doing. Got a call saying there was a small leak at the generator. I'll swing by in the am and see what that's all about. I'm afraid to elaborate because it might evaporate before I can post it.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Leak was a poot sandwich. Cut the crimp pex pipe , tightened the connection with Teflon tape and dope, reconnected with a pex coupling with crimp rings.

Worse part of the job was drilling holes in the porcelain tile for the steam outlet, the touch pad, and the temperature sensor. The sensor called for a 3/8 hole, and the steam outlet and touch pad looked like it needed a one-inch hole. Actually, they needed a 1 1/4 inch hole. Bad guess on my part. Got it done with a little more work.

I will reluctantly put steam showers on my resume. Maybe not. The experience may prove useful in the future.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks