Steam shower - steam generator recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

JuanSigned

Reaction score
I'm doing a complete gut and remodel of my master bathroom. The shower will include a steam shower. I've googled and googled and haven't found much in the way of discussion. Some of brands offer quick steam, others offer 2 heating elements and they all have optional "fancy" control units. There's just not a lot of chatter from folks that have steam showers to help me decide if maybe I'm over looking some feature that might make it worth the extra $$$'s. Are they all the same or is there something I should be looking for?

The other concern I have it putting an electronic control right in the shower. I just know over time (years) it is going to go bad. I'll be putting the control wire in a conduit so it will be easier to replace when it fails. The engineer in me would have put the fancy electronics outside the shower and just a bulb thermostat inside with the water, soap, calcium deposits and steam. (But everyone seems to do it the same way, so maybe it's ok)

Opinions / suggestions for brand and features would be highly welcomed.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I bought an electric towel warmer made by the Mr Steam company. Had an issue with it after 5-years, and they bent over backwards to help out and resolve the issue. Based on that, I'd seriously consider them if I needed a product they made.

There are some quite specific guidelines on building a successful, long-lasting steam shower. The TCNA handbook lists and describes in detail various tested, approved methods. You owe it to yourself to check this out and abide by their guidelines. Doesn't matter which method you choose, but attention to detail is far more critical with a steam shower than with probably any other shower you could put together.

PoloNYC

Reaction score
I would recommend Thermasol. Based on simple 2 things: constant steam (very relaxing) and the Lifetime warranty. So far we didn't have any issues but when we needed some suggestions during installation they were super helpful. Also, I saw that you have engineering background - you will appreciate the construction of the unit. Best of all hands down. Look at their steamhead (pretty cool, still do not understand how it works:) We had some other brands before an I really like the steam experiences with this unit.

JuanSigned

Reaction score
Well, in hopes of creating some information out there here's what I bought - a Mr. Steam. Why? In trying to do my due diligence I found very few comments about any brand of steamer. There are a few "review" sites pumping one brand or another, but I have a hard time trusting their reviews when they are selling what they are reviewing. Sites like these don't have much chatter. (and this one has none that you can find cause the search function is broken:( ) At the very least I know people come to the internet to complain when something doesn't work, so I take that lack of comments as a good thing. What I did instead was read the online installation and repair manuals trying to find something that would tip the scale one way or the other. The results of that were not too productive, seems steam generators are basically glorified steam kettles. They all have pretty much the same features.

So, what's left? In the end I liked the way Mr Steams' steam port looked, the size and wall mount-ability for my application. And, the local supply house was selling them for the same price as the on-line outfits. (that way I can help out the local guy and have it in my hands quicker than having it shipped.) All in all not very good reasons for buying something that cost $,$$$ but its the best I could come up with.

I'll post a review when its up and steaming.

JuanSigned

Reaction score
Here's the update and video of the steamer install.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jbangi

Reaction score
Fantastic website. I have been working on a new steam shower installation in the basement of my home. It's pretty difficult to find any good information out there on what exactly goes into making a lasting steam shower. Here's what I have so far:

1. The basement ceiling would only allow approximately a 6 foot steam shower installation so the 2"/ ft slope of the ceiling would have made the entryway rather short. The basement floor consisted of approximately 2-3 inch thick concrete over gravel. I lowered the floor of the steam room and entryway by 11" and tapped into a nearby sewer line. I had some room under the stairwell and decided to put in a small 1/2 bath there as well. The pipes have all been run and I'll post some pictures when I get them.

2. I had some questions regarding the waterproofing of the steam shower. Once I put down the cement backer board, I was planning on using Noble TS as the pan liner with either Red Guard or Noble TS on the walls and ceiling. Red Guard seems like it would be easier to use and a bit cheaper. Is there any reason why this wouldn't work? I haven't seen anyone come out and say that Noble TS can be used as a pan liner, but most of the pictures of their installs show it being used on the floor. Any difference between Red Guard and Noble TS?

I'll get some pictures posted in the next few days, I would greatly appreciate any advice on this project.

Thanks,
John

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
John, I too like Thermasol..... its an upsell but a great unit.

Have you actually installed
any amrec units??? just curious why you domt like them ???

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
I am quoting a new steamer this week i am gonna price out a few units ....

thermas seems to have the best bells and whistles, i like the heads.

I have had a few people ask for Kohler ( they like the digital control features) but NO one ever asks about the innerds or features of the unit itself!!! just the eye candy.

we have a kohler bathroom design store bere.. Full of hi end kohler mock ups and HOT designer gals..

I see amrec on your list LOL.

i think your list also works as a top 5 in price as well..

JimmyJ

Reaction score
How about the Saunacore steam generators, made in Canada? The product sure sounds well made on their websites. I can find no reviews on them. Is no news good news.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks