steam shower - steam generator recommendations

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by JuanSigned, Jan 23, 2011.

1. JuanSigned

JuanSigned New Member

I'm doing a complete gut and remodel of my master bathroom. The shower will include a steam shower. I've googled and googled and haven't found much in the way of discussion. Some of brands offer quick steam, others offer 2 heating elements and they all have optional "fancy" control units. There's just not a lot of chatter from folks that have steam showers to help me decide if maybe I'm over looking some feature that might make it worth the extra $$$'s. Are they all the same or is there something I should be looking for?

The other concern I have it putting an electronic control right in the shower. I just know over time (years) it is going to go bad. I'll be putting the control wire in a conduit so it will be easier to replace when it fails. The engineer in me would have put the fancy electronics outside the shower and just a bulb thermostat inside with the water, soap, calcium deposits and steam. (But everyone seems to do it the same way, so maybe it's ok)

Opinions / suggestions for brand and features would be highly welcomed.
  2. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple Bathroom Design & Build - North Vancouver, B.C.

Steam Shower Recommendations by John Whipple (North Vancouver)

I have worked with many different steam shower generators. My favourite to date is ThermaSol's.

I like as well Mr. Steam and of late Steam Mist is looking better and better.

The key with any generator is sizing it for the space and tile installation. Factoring in exterior walls, benches and ceiling heights as well goes a long way.

These are my top five steam shower recommendations and how to size them
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  3. johnfrwhipple

Roma Steamer for Vancouver

Not a good pick: The Roma steamers are not one of my favourite choices.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I bought an electric towel warmer made by the Mr Steam company. Had an issue with it after 5-years, and they bent over backwards to help out and resolve the issue. Based on that, I'd seriously consider them if I needed a product they made.

There are some quite specific guidelines on building a successful, long-lasting steam shower. The TCNA handbook lists and describes in detail various tested, approved methods. You owe it to yourself to check this out and abide by their guidelines. Doesn't matter which method you choose, but attention to detail is far more critical with a steam shower than with probably any other shower you could put together.
  5. johnfrwhipple

Steam Shower Code and Guidelines in Vancouver

There basically are none. As a homeowner or builder you need to specify the design of the vapour proofing yourself.
  6. polonyc

polonyc New Member

I would recommend Thermasol. Based on simple 2 things: constant steam (very relaxing) and the Lifetime warranty. So far we didn't have any issues but when we needed some suggestions during installation they were super helpful. Also, I saw that you have engineering background - you will appreciate the construction of the unit. Best of all hands down. Look at their steamhead (pretty cool, still do not understand how it works:) We had some other brands before an I really like the steam experiences with this unit.
  7. johnfrwhipple

Remember that steam rises. Lowering your ceiling height might make a smaller steam generator work more efficiently.

On one job we used a Kohler steam generator. I recommend this only to people who like light fine mist. Not full wet steam.
  8. JuanSigned

JuanSigned New Member

Well, in hopes of creating some information out there here's what I bought - a Mr. Steam. Why? In trying to do my due diligence I found very few comments about any brand of steamer. There are a few "review" sites pumping one brand or another, but I have a hard time trusting their reviews when they are selling what they are reviewing. Sites like these don't have much chatter. (and this one has none that you can find cause the search function is broken:( ) At the very least I know people come to the internet to complain when something doesn't work, so I take that lack of comments as a good thing. What I did instead was read the online installation and repair manuals trying to find something that would tip the scale one way or the other. The results of that were not too productive, seems steam generators are basically glorified steam kettles. They all have pretty much the same features.

So, what's left? In the end I liked the way Mr Steams' steam port looked, the size and wall mount-ability for my application. And, the local supply house was selling them for the same price as the on-line outfits. (that way I can help out the local guy and have it in my hands quicker than having it shipped.) All in all not very good reasons for buying something that cost $,$$$ but its the best I could come up with.

I'll post a review when its up and steaming.
  9. johnfrwhipple

My two top recommendations for Vapour Proofing are.

Noble Company's NobleSeal TS
    Noble Company's NobleSeal CIS

Next in line

Laticrete Sheet membrane.

Avoid membranes from Schluter like Kerdi Board, Kerdi. If you can find Ardex thin-set then Kerdi DS is an option but only with Ardex setting materials. I have quit using all things Schluter do to excessive restrictions placed on us installers by the maker of the orange membrane.
  10. JuanSigned

JuanSigned New Member

Here's the update and video of the steamer install.

[video=youtube;h1kYXPJfJ6U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1kYXPJfJ6U[/video]
  11. johnfrwhipple

Perm Ratings for steam showers

Find the membrane with a low perm rating. Build your stream shower as if it was expected to work out full time.

The membranes from Noble Company best in class - In my opinion.
  12. johnfrwhipple

Recommendations for thin-set.

top pick

Laticrete 254
  13. Jbangi

Jbangi New Member

Fantastic website. I have been working on a new steam shower installation in the basement of my home. It's pretty difficult to find any good information out there on what exactly goes into making a lasting steam shower. Here's what I have so far:

1. The basement ceiling would only allow approximately a 6 foot steam shower installation so the 2"/ ft slope of the ceiling would have made the entryway rather short. The basement floor consisted of approximately 2-3 inch thick concrete over gravel. I lowered the floor of the steam room and entryway by 11" and tapped into a nearby sewer line. I had some room under the stairwell and decided to put in a small 1/2 bath there as well. The pipes have all been run and I'll post some pictures when I get them.

2. I had some questions regarding the waterproofing of the steam shower. Once I put down the cement backer board, I was planning on using Noble TS as the pan liner with either Red Guard or Noble TS on the walls and ceiling. Red Guard seems like it would be easier to use and a bit cheaper. Is there any reason why this wouldn't work? I haven't seen anyone come out and say that Noble TS can be used as a pan liner, but most of the pictures of their installs show it being used on the floor. Any difference between Red Guard and Noble TS?

I'll get some pictures posted in the next few days, I would greatly appreciate any advice on this project.

Thanks,
    John
  14. johnfrwhipple

15. johnfrwhipple

Steam Lights by ThermaSol

If you are looking for music and light. The light from ThermaSol is awesome - if you can afford the price tag...

Great light but very hard to install well. Make sure you understand the installation of this light start to finish before ordering this item.