Steam Room

Users who are viewing this thread

gloveguy

Reaction score
IMG_0518.jpgIMG_0519.jpgHi John,

Better late than never, I guess, but I'm just doing some final joint sealing in my steam shower project and then it hit me... I don't think this light fixture is going to work in here!! Damn!!

I then hopped on the computer, moments ago, and saw this thread. I hope I don't have to rip out my cement board ceiling to retrofit this "SP2" fixture in! That's one of my least favorite words... "retrofit."

Anyway, your forum has been invaluable to my steam shower project and I've been VERY diligent to this point. I'm glad that I thought about this light fixture business before I proceeded. I was just about to apply the Redgard tomorrow night.

Please find attached a couple of photos of what I've got. It's basically a 5.5" "pot light-type" can and it's what the electrician supplied and installed, even though I told him it would be a steamer. Seems like there is a real void in the industry when it comes to these steam showers.

ANY advice on where to go from here would be great. Obviously the least invasive approach is preferred.

Thanks for your forum and all the help you give me and others. Good to know you're from Vancouver, too!

Thanks for the time, John. I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Barry

gloveguy

Reaction score
Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. So, you're suggesting exploring the possibility of seeing if there is a trim with a good gasket system that would prevent vapour from entering the can and further into the ceiling framing? Is that correct?

I'm not married to the Redgard membrane system. Would the NobleSeal TS system be superior to the Redgard? Sounds like it might be less hassle than 4-5 coats of Redgard. Also, would the price be comparable?

I do have a vapour barrier behind the cement board.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
I have had good luck with the Halo 4" wet area rated retrofit cans. I then install Halo LED wet area trim kits (cooper industries) or should I say, I spec the parts and have my master electrician make the wiring connections!!!!

I use 100% silicone and seal the can to my CBU perimiter hole as the clamps are pressed in.......then my waterproofing over that carfully cutting out hole .. after I tile and things dry out accordingly I seal the trim kit into place with more Hi temp silicone, A LOT of silicone and hope my client never calls me to replace the trim kit.( insert led lifespan here!).

Of course John theres more to it.? venting in the ceiling cavity? things need to breathe out yet stop vapor from the inside? So far its worked but im always looking to improve, surely you will further enlighten us?.

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
I only have experience with Amrec chromatherapy lights, and can say for the price point they have held up well in the 3 installs ive done. The low voltage transformer and harnesses are basic to install.

But they have an" impossible to install from the inside of a ceiling" threaded kit that makes the gasket washer obsolete.....that I throw away.... and have had to go cowboy with it! again with the silicone ....

Jim can you pinpoint the Amrec wrrty void for me here? cut and paste it for us in long form and see how you can relate it to an S products intervention..

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
The drain LEDs are supercool. You have some great ideas, for a shaggy haired guy.

LED's are not my idea. Just plug them in charge overnight and place them inside the drain. ACO's idea - I just built the super cool niche to go alongside it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
The nice part about growing your hair over your ears, is that it hides the hair growing from inside your ears. LOL Right now my hair's worse than yours. Way worse. And I don't even care. LMAO

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks