Steam Room Approved Light Fixtures - Recommendations

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by johnfrwhipple, Aug 3, 2013.

1. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple I love these ACO Shower Drains - Best in Class

There are very few steam shower light fixtures approved for the needs of a steam shower. It's the vapour you need to worry about.

My all time favourite steam shower build had four LED lights in it. The lights not designed for steam but for pools. We struggled with the install, it was a pain in the ass. The client needed to change the lights a few times (fault of LED lights) and in the end they look awesome but they came with their hurdles and of course all the screwing around to make them finally right.

[​IMG]
    Photo Source

[​IMG]
    Photo Source

[​IMG]
    Photo Source

These lights look great but I do not recommend them.
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
  2. gloveguy

gloveguy New Member

IMG_0518.jpg IMG_0519.jpg Hi John,

Better late than never, I guess, but I'm just doing some final joint sealing in my steam shower project and then it hit me... I don't think this light fixture is going to work in here!! Damn!!

I then hopped on the computer, moments ago, and saw this thread. I hope I don't have to rip out my cement board ceiling to retrofit this "SP2" fixture in! That's one of my least favorite words... "retrofit."

Anyway, your forum has been invaluable to my steam shower project and I've been VERY diligent to this point. I'm glad that I thought about this light fixture business before I proceeded. I was just about to apply the Redgard tomorrow night.

Please find attached a couple of photos of what I've got. It's basically a 5.5" "pot light-type" can and it's what the electrician supplied and installed, even though I told him it would be a steamer. Seems like there is a real void in the industry when it comes to these steam showers.

ANY advice on where to go from here would be great. Obviously the least invasive approach is preferred.

Thanks for your forum and all the help you give me and others. Good to know you're from Vancouver, too!

Thanks for the time, John. I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Barry
  3. johnfrwhipple

Steam Shower Lighting and Red Guard by Custom Building Products

Not sure that is approved for steam showers. You might need to try again... These lights are also only rated for wet locations. Time will tell how long they hold up. Vancouver inspections do not inspect the light fixture for steam use so a builder can specify basic shower lights. Careful - replacing them one day may be impossible. If you go this root you might get lucky or you might do some harm to your home.

We boxed in the cans so no vapour that entered the lights could harm the homes framing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The right lighting makes or breaks a photo shoot! lol

4. gloveguy

gloveguy New Member

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. So, you're suggesting exploring the possibility of seeing if there is a trim with a good gasket system that would prevent vapour from entering the can and further into the ceiling framing? Is that correct?

I'm not married to the Redgard membrane system. Would the NobleSeal TS system be superior to the Redgard? Sounds like it might be less hassle than 4-5 coats of Redgard. Also, would the price be comparable?

I do have a vapour barrier behind the cement board.
  5. johnfrwhipple

Steam Room Approved Light Fixture

Found the light.

[​IMG]
    Photo Source

[​IMG]
    Photo Source

Keep in mind that Steam Shower lights like this work with a compression gadget - make sure your sheet or vapour proofing membrane is 30mils thick - no less. I'll work on a new blog post for these steam shower approved light fixture.
  6. johnfrwhipple

Steam Shower Lighting - RED PLEASE

Steam.

Room for two.

Red Shower Lighting.

[​IMG]

HELL YA.

7. RedShoecounterbalance

RedShoecounterbalance Member

I have had good luck with the Halo 4" wet area rated retrofit cans. I then install Halo LED wet area trim kits (cooper industries) or should I say, I spec the parts and have my master electrician make the wiring connections!!!!

I use 100% silicone and seal the can to my CBU perimiter hole as the clamps are pressed in.......then my waterproofing over that carfully cutting out hole .. after I tile and things dry out accordingly I seal the trim kit into place with more Hi temp silicone, A LOT of silicone and hope my client never calls me to replace the trim kit.( insert led lifespan here!).

Of course John theres more to it.? venting in the ceiling cavity? things need to breathe out yet stop vapor from the inside? So far its worked but im always looking to improve, surely you will further enlighten us?.
  8. RedShoecounterbalance

I only have experience with Amrec chromatherapy lights, and can say for the price point they have held up well in the 3 installs ive done. The low voltage transformer and harnesses are basic to install.

But they have an" impossible to install from the inside of a ceiling" threaded kit that makes the gasket washer obsolete.....that I throw away.... and have had to go cowboy with it! again with the silicone ....

Jim can you pinpoint the Amrec wrrty void for me here? cut and paste it for us in long form and see how you can relate it to an S products intervention..
  9. johnfrwhipple

LOL - Like how I installed my Thermasol Light Kit - WITH NO ACCESS FROM ABOVE

If only we built showers in Labs. Then we could all ask Jim for help.

[​IMG]

Going Cowboy w/ ThermaSol

[​IMG]

Man my hair is out of control in this photo! :)
  10. johnfrwhipple

Steam Shower Lighting - ACO 37374 Rainbow LightLine

Here is a fun idea to add colour if you own an ACO Shower Drain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
  11. RedShoecounterbalance

John, That shower is awesome. Bold plain simple modern.
  12. Vegas_sparky

Vegas_sparky Eat kitty

The drain LEDs are supercool. You have some great ideas, for a shaggy haired guy.
  13. johnfrwhipple

My hair gets cut four times a year. That was month three.

I'm kinda like Samson in month three....

[​IMG]

Except my wife thinks I look more like this guy from the munsters

[​IMG]
  14. johnfrwhipple

LED's are not my idea. Just plug them in charge overnight and place them inside the drain. ACO's idea - I just built the super cool niche to go alongside it.
  15. Vegas_sparky

Vegas_sparky Eat kitty

The nice part about growing your hair over your ears, is that it hides the hair growing from inside your ears. LOL Right now my hair's worse than yours. Way worse. And I don't even care. LMAO
  16. johnfrwhipple

SO Funny.

You who is the meanest to me when my hair is too Long? The girls on the soccer team (my daughters). They tease me. "Coach you look like a girl"

That always sends me to the barber and my wife has one big threat. She tells me she will get a Perm!
  17. johnfrwhipple

You can fly me down to make them for you... The coloured LED versions.

I did some flood testing of foam based shower niches a while back. In all I tested four niches from two suppliers. I found that one supplier's niche was pretty crappy and two of the three I tested leaked. I'm converting all four of these niches into shower niches with a top lit feature.

But only can be used in a steam shower (the one from Noble Company)...

I get photo's up in a couple weeks once they are finished.
  18. johnfrwhipple

Wonder if the motion activated Disco Lights are steam shower approved? :)

[​IMG]
  19. johnfrwhipple

[​IMG]

I'm liking these tiny LED Steam Shower Lights. Now to track them down....