Steam heat and pressuretrol switch

Users who are viewing this thread

racerc20

Reaction score
Ok all at the end of last years heating season my pressuretrol took a dive and would only work if i banged on it or played with the adjustment. I found a brand new one at my local supply house and replaced it tested it and all seemed good. Before the system was fired this year I drained the system before this heating season refilled with fresh water(halfway up the sight glass...had to release pressure from under the pressuretrol and all seemed ok...in the last week or two i have had to play with the pressure adjustment to keep the furnace fired long enough to heat my second floor...

Heres the layout...18x40 brick construction attached on both sides...
first floor one 5 foot radiator under them living room window in the same room as the only therm in the house.
second floor 4 rooms each with various sized radiators.
not sure of the valving on each unit...

Question is what would cause me to have to fuddle with the pressuretrol...again...should i unscrew it from the pigtail and see if it is pressurized there...if so waht is causing the undue pressure.

Thanks
Racer

racerc20

Reaction score
OK went down and cleared a bunch of rusty brown black water from the upper drain after the low water cutoff...then i removed the pig tail has a union on it so was easy to get out...clogged solid to the pressuretrol...i took a piece of 12ga coppe wire and ran it through the pig tail as far as i could get from both sides..got air and water to flow through it...lowered the cut in back down and am testing the unit now...it fired right up and the pipes are alread creaking to life...

If this works peter i owe you and stewie a cold one...the pig tails are usually a preset length correct. i should be able to just pick up a new one right?

Thanks...
Racer

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks