Steam Generators

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Trouble, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Trouble

Trouble New Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Good afternoon, this is my first post, thanks for having me.

My husband and I are currently working on remodeling our master tub/shower into a tiled steam shower. I have been combing the internet for info on steam generators and I'm finding it difficult to determine pros/cons/reliability of different manufacturers. Does anyone have any practical experience/advice on these expensive little units?

Thank You!
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    I don't personally, but for another forum that may (and they can help with design and construction of the shower as well) is

If you haven't looked at it, check out for Kerdi. Noble and Latticrete also make some waterproofing systems that could work.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. krow

krow Plumber

Feb 11, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    The pro's are, when they are working they are great. Each different unit may have their own type of maintanence( ie: descaling) procedure or non at all .

The cons are, if you get a person that does not know how to follow specs or installation instructions, then you will find that you will spend more money trying to figure out why they don't work.
  5. Trouble

Trouble New Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Thank you both very much, the information was very useful and I will take the advise of both and put it to good use!:)
  6. katzaw

katzaw New Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Northern, NJ
    I have the same concerns about which brand of steam generator. The John Bridge site has us convinced to use the Kerdi system but I can't find any help on which brand of generator, Mr. Steam, Kohler, Thermasol, Steammist etc.? Have you made any progress?