steam generator drain

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by kirkm, Sep 21, 2004.

1. kirkm

kirkm New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    I am roughing in a stream room/shower with a steam generator in a near-by storage area that has a auto flush to washout the system after use. The instructions say to make sure connect the drain out and pressure relief follow all applicable codes with no guidance :confused:. 1.5" Drain is readily accessible below where I plan to mount the steam unit. Can I connect these directly to the drain using a trap or do I need some kind of air gap device?

2. e-plumber

e-plumber DIY Senior Member

Sep 1, 2004
    New York
    Steam Gererator

[​IMG] The picture does not show it but usually a floor drain or an indirect drain connection is provided for the steam unit to handle the relief valve discharge if it were to open. A local licensed plumber can advise you or at least call the Building Department to find out what is required.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

You still need a trap on the sanitary drain opening, but the steamer's drain has to have an air gap between it and the floor drain.
  5. kirkm

kirkm New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Thanks. I will call the county inspector as I am planning to do the installation. The drain available in a sanitary drain and I would want to discharge into it and could install a p trap. I am a little concerned that the steam generator would get infrequent use and the trap could dry out with an air gap. I have a floor drain that goes to sump pump crock where ac condensation line is running but it is know where near where I plan to install the steam generator.