Static interference from flourescent lights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Giles

Retired tool & Die and Mechanic
Reaction score
I have several florescent light fixtures in my shop. When they are on, I get a lot of static on AM radio stations and sometimes on FM stations.
Why do they cause this and what can be done to correct the problem?

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I have several florescent light fixtures in my shop. When they are on, I get a lot of static on AM radio stations and sometimes on FM stations.
Why do they cause this and what can be done to correct the problem?

I got this problem too but my guy who does all my sound system stuff told me it's inevitable.

They make suppressors but he said the most of the time they don't work.

Those lights that operate off an electronic eye are the worst.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Have the receiver far away enough from the lights that there is no noise and run speaker wire to a speaker in the room...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
cheap fluorescent ballasts....aka "shoplights" will have more interference.

You can try replacing the ballasts, and if they are not already electronic, switch to an electronic ballast.

Every light in my house is now flourescent, and we do not experience any ill effects.

BTW, get rid of any dimmers, electronic light timers, or motion controls. These are more likely to cause interference.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
To cure these problems follow these steps

Step 1 – Using a 22 ounce framing hammer strike the radio firmly several times

Step 2 – After striking radio several times, using a broom sweep up broken parts.

Step 3 – Place radio in a container large enough to hold all the shattered parts and set in place

After following these three simple steps there should be no more problem with static noise from the radio.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Flourescent lamp fixtures just plain make a fair amount of noise in the AM band - especially if they have starters. CFL bulbs are usually better. Most motors are also noisey in this band.

rgsgww

Reaction score
It could be getting through the power...is the radio powered by cord? If so, is it on the same circuit as the fixtures?

If not, it may be pretty difficult to get rid of the rfi.

With tv antennas, I just make a braid breaker...but thats another frequency.

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
Does the ballast say "For commercial use only"?

This is why they say that...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks