"State" Gas Water Heater- Pilot won't stay lit - replaced thermocouple

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeremytl

Scientist
Reaction score
I replaced the thermocouple. It's installed correctly. I get a nice blue flame. No drafts. No water dripping on pilot light. When I go to light pilot light, I hold down the knob for 60 seconds, as soon as I let up on the knob the pilot goes out. Yes, the gas supply is turned on. Is this a faulty gas control valve? How do I test it? I had no trouble replacing the thermocouple so I may be able to replace the gas control valve?

Jeremytl

Scientist
Reaction score
Please, has anyone else had the same experience with the pilot light going out after holding it down for 60 seconds and then releasing it?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The position of the thermocouple can be critical to its proper operation. The pilot flame must intersect the thermocouple for it to genereate the signal to tell the gas valve it's okay to light. While it shouldn't be a problem with a new one, if it is all covered in soot, that can be an issue. You may need to bend the bracket slightly to reposition it.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
The position of the thermocouple can be critical to its proper operation. The pilot flame must intersect the thermocouple for it to genereate the signal to tell the gas valve it's okay to light. While it shouldn't be a problem with a new one, if it is all covered in soot, that can be an issue. You may need to bend the bracket slightly to reposition it.

Jim, You sure have come a long way . We talked Years ago. Kevin the old Marine

Reaction score
To add to what I wrote earlier: the primary problem of many water heaters in recent years has been a failure in the gas control valve/thermostat--particularly those with Unitrol valves. For the Whirlpools (see sticky above) a primary culprit was an ECO device that would shut off the gas. If this goes you have to replace the gas control valve/thermostat. From what I've seen personally and other posts here, the replacements seem to be holding up.

About the only time this won't work is if there is a problem with the air supply (plugged flame arrestor screen) or vent stack (back pressure/back draft.) While these were posited as primary causes for many pages of the Whirlpool WH thread, these did not explain most of the problems. The gas control valve/thermostat issue did!

Jeremytl

Scientist
Reaction score
I replaced the gas valve assembly. I am back up and running. It was a fairly easy procedure.
I thought it was suspect how readily "State" was to send me the part (under warranty of course)...they must have had a lot of problems with their short-lived gas control valves.

Reaction score
I replaced the gas valve assembly. I am back up and running. It was a fairly easy procedure.
I thought it was suspect how readily "State" was to send me the part (under warranty of course)...they must have had a lot of problems with their short-lived gas control valves.

Everyone seems to have had trouble with the the Unitrol gas valves for awhile (including Rheem and others...BW had the same set up for awhile, but they have far fewer installed.) At some point vendors became pliant to replacing parts when people called. Anyway, glad you could repair it--it is beyond the ability of some folks. Makes way more sense trying this than throwing out a good tank many years before it fails. For awhile there were several plumbers here recommending a new WH as the first response, which was just stupid and unnecessarily wasteful.

Someone's padre

Reaction score
First day off in two weeks. I slept in to 5:30am, get up find note from wife, no hot water, oh boy time for fun. Luckily master bath has it's own WH. Hot shower then figure out why main WH isn't running. I watch some YouTube videos, seems easy to replace the thermocouple. I get the burner assembly out, doesn't look simple. Find the manual, it says replace the whole pilot assembly which is $77 for the part not 10 bucks for a hardware store thermocouple. It is a State Select High Efficiency WH. Damn. Can't get one on Saturday but can order it. Somewhere on the internet it says to blow out the pilot tube, I apply compressed air, some crud comes out, I can't get the pilot to light even allowing time for gas to come through. Go to order part, all ready to put in info and CC, figure I will try one more time. Blow more air then verify it is coming out pilot end. Reassemble WH 2nd time then allow two minutes to bleed air out, click click click, pilot lights, hold button for one minute, turn knob and WOOSH main burner comes on and stays on. It finally cycled off, look in the stupid little window and there is a good looking pilot flame in there. Run the hot water for a while and WOOSH main burner comes on again which is a big relief.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks