Starting my basement bathroom reno -- where to tie-in the drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Geekything

Reaction score
Hi,

Like many, I'm a little lost when it comes to DWV design for a basement bathroom reno.

The good news is that I appear to have a drain and a stack nearby to where the bathroom needs to be. The bad news is there's a concrete wall between the proposed site and the drain (see picture). I can't/don't want to punch large holes in the concrete wall as it's a load bearing wall with footings -- the house was added to over time.

My question, based on the picture, is whether I should go "around the corner" to the visible drain and dig there, or tie-in to the drain at a nearby floor drain.

I also wonder if I should locate the toilet so that it's got "line of sight" to the drain and then the other fixtures feed into that line.

Appreciate any advice. I'm in Ontario, Canada for reference. Thanks!

Basement%20bathroom%20design_zpsmczcvvvc.png

Geekything

Reaction score
Let me ask the question a different way: what's the tightest bend in a drain line that you'd contemplate? We're talking 120-degrees here. I have to think that coupling a few elbows in series is not a good idea?

** EDIT: Looks like UPC says I can do 135-degrees before a clean-out is needed, but the question still stands -- what's practical and won't result in me digging up the slab to fix it? :-o **

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You need to locate the section of horizontal building drain from the base of the stack leaving the building. It is where any new bath will tie into.

Reaction score
don't want to punch large holes in the concrete wall as it's a load bearing wall with footings
You can punch out an entire cinder brick out of that wall, and it won't buldge.

You can certainly make the 2" for the minimum DMW needed to reach those verticals. Might want to pay for someone to make the hole for you, so you don't screw it up. Concrete drilling requires an expensive hammer drill, diamond hole saws, and lots of oil. I do them all the time running hvac coolant lines.

Or do what #3 said, tear up your floor and find the horizonal to Wye into.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks