Standyne shower single water control leak

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by BrianGB, Nov 19, 2011.

1. BrianGB

BrianGB New Member

This faucet has a continual leak. How can I remove the brass stem? Do I need a special tool to remove that stem? I can remove the pin but can't get the stem valve out. Thanks for any tips!
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

A picture and model number would help, but generally, often underneath the trim, there's a nut you must loosen to remove a stem. Make sure that the water to the valve is off before you try to remove it. If the stem is worn (it might just be the packing), you may also want to remove and replace the valve seat. This does take a special (inexpensive) tool.
  3. BrianGB

BrianGB New Member

Is the tool you need is like a puller that you attach to the end of the valve stem to remove the stem .Then do you need another tool to remove the seat. The make is a Stanadyne-there is no model number that I can find.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Typically, and I don't know on this one specifically, you don't use a handle puller, it's just a plain wrench. A valve seat wrench is a simple tapered (square) rod that fits into the middle of the seat (where the water comes out). Now, to remove the handle not the stem), you might need a handle puller. Again, a picture would help.