standing water in clawfoot tub

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by tsk0301, Aug 23, 2009.

1. tsk0301

tsk0301 New Member

I just replaced the 80 year old drain and overflow assembly on my clawfoot tub. No leaks now but within 30 seconds I have standing water in the tub. Did the old ball joint on the drain create negative pressure that the new T doesn't?

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated!!!
  2. Winslow

Winslow Plumber

within 30 seconds of what?
  3. tsk0301

tsk0301 New Member

within 30 seconds of turning on the showerhead
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

Negative pressure would suck the water out of the tub. You have a plugged drain. Although you might have a poorly designed drain fitting.
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  5. tsk0301

tsk0301 New Member

It drains eventually. Also, the sink and toilet are downstream on the same line and work fine. I also flushed out the p-trap on the tub before reattaching.

The tub drained without any issues prior to the new hardware. I did not change anything below the floor, including alignment / slope of pipes.