Standing pilot to electronic ignition

Users who are viewing this thread

John in herndon

Reaction score
Electronic ignition for boiler

I know that this is a controversial reply, but consider that many gas boilers with millivolt controls will operate in the absence of utility power. That means that it can maintain boiler temperature in the event of a power failure. Manually opening the zone valves will allow the system to maintain some level of heating when the power is out.

While it is not the ideal solution, it is cheap insurance. The relatively minor savings afforded from the elimination of the standing pilot light against frozen pipes in cold weather. I know, I've been there in New England where power failures usually come along with ice storms and cold weather.

geno54

Reaction score
I would advise you have a pro do this and not yourself. Depending on the type of system you have now is also important. Lo voltage, Line voltage Millivolt, Type of gas valve, etc. If you buy and try to install it improperly, someone may get hurt. A pilot lite system is simple and less problematic. IMHO

CrashLanding55

HVAC Sales Rep.
Reaction score
I agree with Geno. You never mentioned what type of system has the standing pilot but it must of been designed with a standing pilot burner. It will probably be better to let it stay as is. If you are trying to gain some energy savings, not much will be gain and if it is a newer piece of equipment, it might void the remaining warranty.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks