Standard Spacing Between Kitchen Faucet and Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

EWil

Reaction score
I'm having a quartz countertop installed in my kitchen. The fabricator says that 2.5" between the kitchen sink and the faucet is standard. I am looking at an under mount Kohler sink that has holes pre-drilled for the faucet. The distance between the sink and the bottom of the faucet hole is 1.25".

Is 2.5" spacing between a kitchen sink and the facet hole standard in a quartz countertop?

Here is a link to the kitchen sink:
http://www.us.kohler.com/us/Brookfi...n-sink/productDetail/kitchen-sinks/786567.htm

EWil

Reaction score
Thank you. How likely is it that the quartz would break if the spacing was less than 2.5"?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I am not sure what you are asking. The sink has predrilled holes so the holes in the quartz have to be centered on them, but the holes are oversized so the faucet goes THROUGH them and fastens to the quartz itself.

EWil

Reaction score
Our fabricator is saying that the pre-drilled holes on the sink are too close to the sink basin. I measured and the predrilled holes are 1.5" inches away from the basin, so on the quartz, he'll have to cut the faucet holes 1.5" inches from the hole he cuts for the sink basin. He's saying that 1.5" inches is too close, and that standard spacing is 2.5", but why would Kohler space the faucet holes 1.5" from the sink basin if this distance is too close? He says the quartz could break if it is any closer than 2.5", and I wanted to verify this claim. Is it a likely possibility it could crack? Is 2.5" between faucet hole and sink basin a quartz-specific requirement?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've only done a few things with stone, but it's important to know that not all stone is created equal. Some has a small grain structure, some has much larger crystals, and some have unknown, irregular natural imperfections. IOW, it's hard to say what will work with the stone you chose. If it's a man made product, you may want to call the manufacturer, but ultimately, your interface is with the fabricator/installer. I'd ask if he could accommodate a different product if you want to use that sink, or if you could use a different sink that may have different layout. The people over at www.johnbridge.com have a section on stone that might get you some more focused responses, but I don't review it, so cannot say for sure. I do participate in their tile forum, though, and there are a bunch of good folks there.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is a cast iron sink and that is how Kohler makes it. THere is no real "purpose" for the ledge with the holes in it. Either drill the holes where the sink needs them, get a sink without the ledge, or use a diamond blade to remove the case iron between the holes and the rim at the rear.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks