Standard procedure for mounting pedestal sink?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by coldsolderjoint, Mar 24, 2013.

1. coldsolderjoint

coldsolderjoint New Member

My mother wants to re-home our old pedestal sink to her place.

Its in my yard with the two pieces separate currently.

When I removed it from our house, there were two toggle bolts holding the basin part against the wall, and the pedestal part was holding it "up". If i had removed the pedestal part by itself, I'm pretty sure the basin part would have ripped right out of the wall.

Is that how its supposed to be? How should I re-install it in her place?

(It will be replacing that '60's Kolher sink you guys helped me with previously)
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Pedestal sinks almost never hang on the wall. They NEED the pedestal, unless it is a sink where the pedestal can be an afterthought, which I doubt yours is. You install the pedestal, then set the sink on it and fasten it to the wall.
  3. coldsolderjoint

Thanks! I guess the last guy to work in this house didn't fasten the pedestal, it was just sorta jammed under the basin part.
  4. hj

Many, if not most, are installed that way. The sink holds them in place once the sink is secured to the wall.
  5. ckl111

ckl111 Home Builder

After everything has been aligned and tightened up top, I usually put a little bit of silicone between the floor and the back of the pedestal to hold it in place.
  6. coldsolderjoint

Thanks guys! This forum is petty great in that we DIY can get this info.

My mother called off the project, but now I know for next time I have to put in a pedestal sink :-D
  7. hj

quote; but now I know for next time I have to put in a pedestal sink

By then you will probably have forgotten it, and have to ask again.
  8. BobL43

BobL43 DIY Senior Member

Why HJ, because it's so complicated? :p
  9. asktom

asktom Member

Next time the lesson will probably involve the height of the trap arm, regardless.
  10. coldsolderjoint

oh well.. maybe someone else who is smart enough to search will learn from this thread