Standard Port Valve - Differences among Manuf

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
I generally 98% use full port valves, but in a pinch, I picked up a Standard Port Valve.

For reference, I took 2 of the Apollo Full ports I had already and compared it to the Standard port valve (Apollo) and I cannot see that much of a ID difference when looking through it. These were all USA Apollos and not Apollo International series.

I was expecting to see a difference like this but this standard port valve looks close to full port to me...

Is the lineup between different manuf. that widely different in their full port/standard port ID boring

fullvstand2-300x281.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Unless it is a "full port valve" meaning the opening is at least the size of the pipe's I.D., the opening can be whatever the manufacturer wants it to be, ranging from just 'under' a full port all the way to a full size difference.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
About the only time a "real" full port valve is needed is if you are using a "JetSwet" plug to seal the pipe while you install the valve. In that case if it is not a "full port" the "plug" will not come out.

Chefwong

Reaction score
Just got a arrowhead drain valve to replace the plastic one on the new Rheem heater...
While there are design differences - ball versus stem valve, without me measuring, the ID of this valve seems to be considerablt smaller than the Apollo ~standard~ valve by quite a margin.

HJ/TL - are certain boiler drain valves better than others..
I try to stay domestic. Dahl for stops, Apollo for Valves.
Picked up the Arrowhead cause it was domestic made..

I took a PRC Mueller variant and that is almost as full port as it gets, compared to the Arrowhead which I would say ID would be 1/2" of the PRC Mueller. Almost as representative among the OP photo.

Unless it is a "full port valve" meaning the opening is at least the size of the pipe's I.D., the opening can be whatever the manufacturer wants it to be, ranging from just 'under' a full port all the way to a full size difference.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks