Standard height vs. comfort height

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Cygarbuff, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Cygarbuff

Cygarbuff New Member

Auto Glass Installer
    What's the difference between Standard height and comfort height toilets? Both my wife and I are between 5'6 and 5'8. Which ones are sold more? Thank you
    Jay

Toto Ultramax handicap toilet

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2005
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    Some people like the higher toilets and they are required for ADA so people can slide off their wheelchairs onto the toilet. I'm 6'2" and I prefer a normal height toilet. Everyone's different. Go with what you like.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Standard height bowls are about 14" from floor ( plus seat). Comfort height, also called "handicap" toilet, are usually 16 to 17 plus seat.

It is definitely a matter of preference. I am 5'10". I am also 60 and all my joints creak and groan! I prefer the tall toilet, because it is easier for me so stand up afterwards. At home, I have not changed the toilet yet, but have installed grab bars for assistance.

At your height, the standard bowl may be just fine. And a lady who is a coupe of inches shorter than you may find the tall bowl uncomfortable to sit on. If you visit a large public restroom ( theater, airport, etc.) you shoud be able to "test" the different types and decide.