Stainless Steel Toilets

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by mcmar, Nov 16, 2009.

1. mcmar

mcmar New Member

Looking for some help in trying to provide support to my brother-in-law. He is a 56 year old paraplegic. He is living on SSI in a small Arkansas town of Stuttgart. His wife drives 140 miles each day to work in a food store that offers a good health plan (about the only benefit for working that far away). He has fallen in the bathroom numerous times and in the past year he has broken three toilets in his falls. I would like as much information as I can get about your stainless steel toilets. Pricing would be helpful, however, I know that he could not afford to purchase a new one on his own. Maybe someone could point me into a direction where we can locate a used one (renovations and such). Any information could furnish would be most helpful and appreciative.
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

Sorry to hear about your friend...will SSI or Medicare Medicaid pay for part or all of it...you should look into it especially if a DR. orders it with a prescription they might...
  3. HoracioO

HoracioO New Member

I'd be a little worried about the damage he's doing to himself, a stainless steel toilet will not solve the falling issues and that needs to be looked at seriously. It sounds like he may need some training in bathroom navigation, yep it is something you need to learn!
    I've never seen a stainless steel toilet spec'd for this before.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

toilet

The majority, if not all, stainless steel toilets are wall hung models for institutional, prison, use, and as such, they do not have tanks. But, there may be a tank type version somewhere, and it will be expensive. As far a finding a used one, the chances of that are so close to ZERO, that I would not even spend time searching.
  5. Cass

Cass Plumber

6. Forgot the music intro man!

Sometimes the "size" of the bathroom is what causes the major issue. I would consider the idea of turning an used bedroom into a bathroom, or just installing a toilet in a bedroom where there's a large area to move around it, with plenty of grab bars and bars that 90 from the wall to the floor next to the toilet, each side.

Don't forget a bidet toilet seat either. :D