Stainless Steel Strainer for kitchen sink

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by w.l.weller, Oct 24, 2009.

1. w.l.weller

w.l.weller New Member

Hi,
    Doing a kitchen remodel. Grabbed this strainer for the new sink. Disappointed to find out except for the top part shown in pictures it's mostly plastic. Is this the norm any strainers out there of all metal construction?

Thanks for the help.
    Blanco BBS-SS-B Stainless Basket Strainer

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2009
  2. Doherty Plumbing

Doherty Plumbing Journeyman & Gas Fitter

Yes they are still out there. I can't think of the make off the top of my head but I get them at my wholesaler quite frequently.

Is there any reason why you want to go to metal over plastic?
  3. w.l.weller

w.l.weller New Member

just a preference, given a choice I'll go for metal over plastic. Guess in my head, plastic=cheap metal=good
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  4. Doherty Plumbing

Oh ok!

If you go down to your local hardware store you should be able to find an all metal one!
  5. Doherty Plumbing

6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

strainer

Usually I would eschew a plastic strainer, but that one, and those like it, are the exception, since they fasten using a center bolt in the bottom, rather than a lock nut so they seal to the bottom of the sink with a gasket, rather than inside the sink with putty. There are many all metal strainers, but their quality varies according to their prices.