Stacking Laundry - Plumbing/Venting Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Mccallum

Reaction score
Can someone verify whether the laundry box and the dryerbox positioning is acceptable for a stacking washer/dryer? Are there any issues with placing 45s on the venting to avoid the dryerbox? I am pretty sure it doesn't have to be 6" above the drain??

See photo. Thanks

Attachments

• Laundry Detail.jpg
    Laundry Detail.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 74,275

quinocampa

Mechanical engineer in marketing. Uhuh.
Reaction score
Variation on This Theme

Okay, so the image makes sense, but I have a variation.

I have a 2x4 wall instead of 2x6. Also, my dryer vent needs to go down into the crawlspace (yes, then over and out). I want to avoid the washer box drain. My only plumbing vent is too far away, so I plan to use an AAV behind a grill.

Can I still do this arrangement? Surely it's been done before.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The only problem with the washer box behind a stacked unit is that the valves are almost impossible to access them without pulling the units out, and that can be time consuming, especially if you are dealing with a burst water hose.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
>>>Also, my dryer vent needs to go down into the crawlspace (yes, then over and out).<<<

This is going to cause a ongoing nightmare with the vent needing constant cleaning!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; This is going to cause a ongoing nightmare with the vent needing constant cleaning!

Why? it should work better than the air and lint having to go up, fighting gravity all the way.

quinocampa

Mechanical engineer in marketing. Uhuh.
Reaction score
I have read numerous places to avoid going up as best as you can. I think a short run and metal duct would contribute much better to a clean line. Every home in my edition exits from the crawlspace.

I think I can get enough space and clearance for the vent and the plumbing. Strangely, it is hard to find diagrams of pics for stacked W/D's online. One friend raised the issue, same as HJ, about accessing the shutoffs. However, once again, in every photo I've seen, the stacked W/D hides the supply and vent.

Can anyone provide "I've done this" documentation?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks