Stacking 2 tanks together ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Powerless

Reaction score
Heya,

How does stacking two tanks together work ?
How is media distributed ? how does back-washing looks for system like this.

I'm debating on stacking smaller tank with kdf55 on top of my 12x52 carbon - this is to kill any potential bacteria, I have pex piping so its prone to algae growth, especially when chlorine is removed.

Is this packed with media tight top to bottom ?

wholehouse-filter-city-diagram.gif

Gracias

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
KDF does not kill bacteria down the line. The media itself is not prone to bacterial growth. The system you are showing is an upflow KDF downflow GAC system. It works decently, but a simple backwashing design is much better. Some of our best sellers are stacked tank designs.

DuckyDucky

Reaction score
KDF does not kill bacteria down the line. The media itself is not prone to bacterial growth. The system you are showing is an upflow KDF downflow GAC system. It works decently, but a simple backwashing design is much better. Some of our best sellers are stacked tank designs.
Mr ditttohead, any ideas on how to control bacteria and algae growth in carbon tanks ?, I see that you said that the GAC is not prone to bacterial growth, but I have two tanks, I'm concerned that second tank will be a ground for bacteria to multiple, as at this point there will be not much chlorine left.

Are you aware of any methods of preventing that ?, or should I remove my second tank and use only one.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Carbon tanks are not really that prone to growth, it is simply an area that it can occur. Controlling the quality of water going into them is key. If you prevent it from starting, you should be good with simple intermittent carbon bed change outs and sanitization of the tanks.

For applications where biological control is critical ie: pharma, electronics manufacturing etc. we employ multiple and expensive methods of control.

Many systems we design include heat sanitization as well, but for most applications simple maintenance and a post UV is adequate.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks