stack vents and roof vents-

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by cacher_chick, Jan 10, 2011.

1. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

I have my new basement vent stack up to the attic and am preparing to take it through the roof. Our plumbing code states that the vent terminal must be at least 10 feet from an air intake.

I have these roof vents at 10 foot intervals across the length of the roof- [​IMG]

I believe these vents are considered "exhaust" and not "intake" vents so I am guessing that the 10 foot rule should not apply.

I'm a bit unsure of myself so I am here to ask the experts- what say you?
  2. gator37

gator37 Retired prof. engr.

You are correct if what you show are for a toilet fan, dryer vent, or hood exhaust, the 10' rule does not apply. The rule would apply it they were intakes, but it does not look like it.
  3. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

There is nothing hooked to the roof vents. They are for attic ventilation only.
    This is how it was done before the integrated ridge vent systems became popular.
  4. Basement_Lurker

Basement_Lurker One who lurks

I am pretty sure they are referring to an HVAC intake, and not a roof vent.
  5. gator37

gator37 Retired prof. engr.

I agree with Basement-Lurker. What they are worried about is pulling the odor into the inhabited area which would refer to HVAC ventilation intakes or makeup air.