Sta rite pump for $75... Worth it?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by musicinabottle, Oct 4, 2011.

1. musicinabottle

musicinabottle New Member

I have the chance to purchase a one HP sta rite pump and starter for $75. Is it worth the money. It works fine and pumps water. Buy or steer clear?

Attached Files:

2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

That is a really old one. Looks like the old oil filled type motor. Check the date code. It might last a while or it not run an hour.
  3. Texas Wellman

Texas Wellman In the Trades

Our original Sta-Rite 1.5 HP pump lasted 28 years....on an 82 gallon galvanized tank that was completely undersized for the pump.

But I would not give $75 for the pump.
  4. musicinabottle

musicinabottle New Member

He's firm on the price. I walked away. There are many others out there to choose from! Thanks guys.
  5. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

Always put a used pump ina barrell of water, run it, check the running amps as you close a valve to zero flow, then record the maximum pressure made. try it half shut and pressure at say 50 psi and measure the outflow in GPM. Now you know something.
  6. masterpumpman

masterpumpman New Member

Wise decision! I have several 1/2 hp submersables that I would love to get $75.00 each. They worked when we pulled them and could last for years or they could die tomorrow!