Sta-rite MSE rebuild

Users who are viewing this thread

Sixdays

Water well drilling contractor
Reaction score
Howdy, been a while since I visited the forum but as always there is an amazing amount of knowledge here!

Anyhow, I have a question that somebody may have a quick answer to. I rebuild a few Sta-rite MSE pumps and usually put the pump in a barrel of water with an ejector rigged up to test them. Of course half the time a piece of trash plugs the jet and I have to clean it out. Not a big deal but in order to save time I tried just submerging the pump end in a bucket of water. The idea is to run the pump and flush out any junk before I install it and plug a jet assembly on somebody's well. So, I tried this approach and the pump motor starts too slow, never gets up to speed and just pulls too many amps................ Before I condem the motor (which may be bad) I just wondering if this set-up is "over-amping" the motor"? Motor is wired to run on 110V and ran fine on the bench with no load (yes I know the motor could still be bad...........hahaha).

Oh yes, I recently ran a few MSE pumps with no ejector on my test barrel. I just plugged the drive side port and put an old footvalve on the suction side............ seems like that worked OK........... still had to use the barrel though..

Any ideas..... suggestions for dealing with MSE pumps..?

Thanks,
TS

Last edited:

Sixdays

Reaction score
Yes that is the pump.

I kind of answered my own question................... went back to the test rig with a plug on the "drive" side and a checkvalve on the suction side. As you mention.............. have to control the discharge volume ............... this is done by the pressure regulator supplied with the pump..........

I guess it's true what they say " the lazy man works the hardest"........................ hahaha

Thanks,
TS

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
We had a test bench years ago (made by Sta-Rite). It had a little well head and discharge etc. It even had a gauge for amps and flow. It was more a PITA to hook everything up than to just take the pump back to the well and let er rip.

I understand about getting trash in the jet, it happens. I never test them anymore and rarely do I plug up the jet. Just make sure you clean out the internals good with air or use a good water hose if it's really dirty. I have rebuilt hundreds of these pump through the years so I know them pretty well.

I much prefer the Goulds jet pumps to the MSE series anymore, they are much easier to rebuild and cheaper too.

Sixdays

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, most people don't work on pumps any more................ just sell new ones. Yep, they are a pain to work on the worst thing is cleaning all the rust / iron build up. I probably should not test them either because there is rarely a problem and then if that freshly rebuilt pump sets around for long it rust and more scale and craparoo turns loose.............

Amen on the Goulds pumps they are much easier to clean but those never really caught on here!
TS

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Really? The Goulds 1-HP is about $75-100 cheaper than the 1-HP Sta Rite MSE. The only drawback is that they don't pump quite as much water as the sta-rite.

You probably noticed that the motors for the MSE are much higher than the goulds. It's because they have a service factor of 1.65, which means that it's really more like a 1.5 HP motor. Not to mention that it's a special design and only AO smith makes them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks