squeeky new bathtub installed

Users who are viewing this thread

cainer

Reaction score
HI. This is my first post. My brother inlaw and myself recently completed installing a new acrylic bathtub. Neither of us are lisenced plumbers. We are just DIy guys.

We expereinced a few leaks in this process but, everything now seems to be leak free. The bathroom is directly above the garage, so luckily the leaks only came down into the garage. The drywall on the ceiling of the garage was taken off and the floor and plumbing of the bathroom is still exposed.

Here is the problem. I am not so sure my brother inlaw made the bathtub %100 sturdy. When i step into the tub, i occasionally hear clunking noises when i put weight on it in certain areas of the tub.

The two front legs seem to be on the floor, but when u walk around in the tub, i constantly hear clunking noises, like the tub is moving. I really dont want to take everything apart to make it sturdy so, i am hoping there is something i can do from the garage area. There is a little cut out area where the drain is where we can see a bit of the tub. We were thinking of just spraying some spray foam in there to make things a bit more sturdy and hope the clunking noises and the slight shifting of the tub will end.

Is this a good idea? thanks

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
HI. This is my first post. My brother inlaw and myself recently completed installing a new acrylic bathtub. Neither of us are lisenced plumbers. We are just DIy guys.

We expereinced a few leaks in this process but, everything now seems to be leak free. The bathroom is directly above the garage, so luckily the leaks only came down into the garage. The drywall on the ceiling of the garage was taken off and the floor and plumbing of the bathroom is still exposed.

Here is the problem. I am not so sure my brother inlaw made the bathtub %100 sturdy. When i step into the tub, i occasionally hear clunking noises when i put weight on it in certain areas of the tub.

The two front legs seem to be on the floor, but when u walk around in the tub, i constantly hear clunking noises, like the tub is moving. I really dont want to take everything apart to make it sturdy so, i am hoping there is something i can do from the garage area. There is a little cut out area where the drain is where we can see a bit of the tub. We were thinking of just spraying some spray foam in there to make things a bit more sturdy and hope the clunking noises and the slight shifting of the tub will end.

Is this a good idea? thanks

Here's what you do...

Fill the tub up 2/3 full with water then use some of the medium expanding foam under the tub between it and the sub floor.

This should beef it up!

Make sure to let the foam set before you drain the water out of the tub.

cainer

Reaction score
Here's what you do...

Fill the tub up 2/3 full with water then use some of the medium expanding foam under the tub between it and the sub floor.

This should beef it up!

Make sure to let the foam set before you drain the water out of the tub.

Never thought of filling the tub up but makes a lot of sense, thanks for the reply

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks