Squealing water line

Users who are viewing this thread

Njbossfan

Reaction score
Just moved into a new construction 3 story townhouse. When we use the water dispenser on the fridge or use the kitchen sink on the 2nd floor, we hear a loud squealing coming from our water heater closet on the 1st floor. I think...not positive...but I think it's coming from a LF7R dual check valve...or somewhere near it. Even if we just get a 1/2 glass of water...the squealing starts and lasts a good 30 seconds to a minute after the water flow stops. If it's squealing and I turn on the kitchen sink full blast for 10 seconds or so...the squealing unusually stops.

Some info: There's a pressure regulator after the main shutoff that I've tried adjusting...I can vary the pressure from about 50 to 60 from what my pressure meter says that's on an outside hose bib. Squealing still occurs no matter where I set the pressure. If I slowly close the main water valve while the squealing is happening....it doesn't change until the valve is completely closed (thought slowly closing it would restrict water flow if the squealing was due to high pressure). Water lines in the home are the white plastic kind.

Any ideas what the problem might be? Bad check valve? Low pressure? Any further troubleshooting I can try? We're under warranty so I can call the plumber but they take forever to respond and I have a difficult work schedule to meet them at the house during normal work hours...plus I enjoy DIY.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks