square trim shower drain

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by charlesj, Jan 23, 2005.

1. charlesj

charlesj New Member

Jan 23, 2005
    I'm building a new tile shower & I'm looking for a Square Clamping Ring Drain to install...haven't been able to find to many to pick from. Only 1 & I'd like to see more if there is any... any help would be appreicated
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

J R Smith, Josam, etc., all make shower/floor drains with clamping rings and square strainers.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Aug 31, 2004
    San Diego
    This brings up one area of planning often overlooked by do-it-yourselfers. When you go shopping for parts on the day you are ready to start working, you will be limited to perhaps the one item stocked locally. Some pre-planning allows you to shop internet, or have a local supply house order something in for you.

SO, I am in no way suggesting that DIY is not a good thing. For others who may be reading, I am suggesting that you allow several weeks planning for a big job like a shower. You will be happier in the long run when you can find exactly the parts you need.
  5. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD for both Canada & the US

Jul 20, 2009
    Design Work World Wide: Bathrooms Vancouver Area
    North Vancouver, BC
    There are new options in square shower drains.

My favourite of late is the square drain from My Shower Grate Shop and I'm currently testing a new one from Laticrete. I have found that these new tile insert drains can suffer from "Air Locks" - where the water gets trapped by a bubble of air and does not drain. So far I have had two "Air Lock" issues with my own installations and have since switched manufactures.

My latest install is working properly and I have learned how to fix the other drains with an "Anti Air Lock" collar.

Careful which drain you buy. Chances the cheapest one out there is cheapest for a reason...

Our last curbless shower here in Vancouver with the "Next Generation" tile top drain installed. These second generation drains have a better flow rate than the earlier models.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012