Square D pressure switch stting

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob1000

Reaction score
I got a pump system consists of 0.75HP self priming pump connected to the water mains , pressure tank with air pressure set to 30psi and a SquareD pressure switch .
I set the pressure switch to a 40/60 psi setting .
I discovered that during taking a shower with the shower tap open full throttle is not enough to keep the pump running under 60psi so the pressure can still build up and reach 60 psi and then the pump stops then after few seconds switches on again ( obviously when the pressure reachs 40psi) . That resulted in substantial cange of the hot to cold water mixture during te shower and then rounds of hot or cold water during showerng which is very annoying
I tried to adjust the cut out pressure to make it 70psi (( which is higher than the pressure of the pump with the shower fauset running) but I discovered that the relevant nut ( the small one) would affect the cut in pressure too!!!))
The question now :
1) Do these pressure switches normally have max and min limits?
2) Is it normally possible to set the pressure differential to say 10psi or 5 PSI or there is a commoon value of 20PSI
I tried to set that switch to 70/60 PSI to kep the pump running during the shower or 60/50 PSI to avoid big pressure changes but it did not work!
Any ideas?
Thanks very much in advance

Jake_homeowner

Reaction score
Your pressure tank is the problem.

It sounds like your pressure tank is either too small, does not have the correct amount of air pressure, or the bladder is broken and not working. My pressure tank is a 42 gallon tank and normally the pump will only come on once during a long shower. If your pump is cycling every few seconds it will burn out quickly and cause the problems you mentioned. I just posted another reply that showed how the pressure tank worked.

Jake

R

Rancher

Pumptrol Adjustments

Bob1000 said:
I discovered that the relevant nut ( the small one) would affect the cut in pressure too!!!))

When setting the pressure switch, adjust the switching point on rising pressure first and then the switching point on falling pressure (PB).
Switching point on falling pressure The switching point on falling pressure is set by adjusting screw-nut 1. (the larger tall nut)
Switching point on rising pressure The switching point on rising pressure (PB) is set by adjusting screw-nut 2. (the smaller lower nut)

Attachments

• pumptrol.jpg
    pumptrol.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 8,414

Raucina

Reaction score
If the paper in the pressure switch that describes the manner of adjustment is not readable, then the switch is probably too old anyway - spring 20 bucks for a new one factory set for 40- 60. You can then adjust only the shut off pressure upwards until the pump stays on with the shower valve open. You have to be patient with pressure switches and use a lot of water to adjust them to your needs.

You also probably need a larger pressure tank, or to make sure the one you have is working to spec's.

My shower has no variation because the pump runs at higher pressures, about 55-80 and I have a 50$ Watts pressure regulator at the house entrance set around 55psi, a fairly easy solution.

There are other ways and I suspect you will be hearing about them soon....

Bob1000

Reaction score
Hi Raucina
Thank you very much for your advice , it seem to be an excellent idea to make that configuration you mentioned here however I have few questions:-
1-Why you use a strong pump that can generate 80psi then fix a pressure regulator to reduce it to 55psi?
2-The pressure tank I us is a brand new one of 30 liter capacity and the idea of using it is just to allow for some expansion during the automatic runnig of the pump not to store lots of water but the idea is to have the pump running continously during the shower and the high demand of water , do I still need a bigger pressure tank?
Thanks again
Bob

Raucina said:
If the paper in the pressure switch that describes the manner of adjustment is not readable, then the switch is probably too old anyway - spring 20 bucks for a new one factory set for 40- 60. You can then adjust only the shut off pressure upwards until the pump stays on with the shower valve open. You have to be patient with pressure switches and use a lot of water to adjust them to your needs.

You also probably need a larger pressure tank, or to make sure the one you have is working to spec's.

My shower has no variation because the pump runs at higher pressures, about 55-80 and I have a 50$ Watts pressure regulator at the house entrance set around 55psi, a fairly easy solution.

There are other ways and I suspect you will be hearing about them soon....

Bob1000

Reaction score
Hi Rancher
Thank you very much for your advice , however what is the meaning of PB ?
I have adjusted it now to 42/62 psi but it seem that I would need a new one of higher rate like a 50/70 psi , that would solve my problem I think , what do you think?
Thanks again
Bob

Rancher said:
When setting the pressure switch, adjust the switching point on rising pressure first and then the switching point on falling pressure (PB).
Switching point on falling pressure The switching point on falling pressure is set by adjusting screw-nut 1. (the larger tall nut)
Switching point on rising pressure The switching point on rising pressure (PB) is set by adjusting screw-nut 2. (the smaller lower nut)

R

Rancher

That's what Square D calls those settings...

The high point setting is called PH, which could mean pressure high, and the bottom setting is called PB...and I'm making this one up pressure bottom?

They call PB the low pressure point.

Rancher

Raucina

Reaction score
75 or 80 psi isnt much work to a pump especially if we are discussing a submersible.

If you can tinker with your adjustments and make the pump stay on during your time of critical use, that works too. The pump sounds a bit small, but if you get the water you need then let it be.

Drip

Reaction score
Square D switch

The PH adjustment on my Square D switch won't lower the pressure. So, when I raise the other adjustment it raises both hi and low simultaneously but I cannot lower the PH. 40-60 psi setting doesn't quite get it with my water demands. I wish I could set it to 55-65. Do I need a new switch? There's a space between the adjustment nut and the spring on the PH adjustment, so there's not lowering it any further. My Pressure tank is smaller than I've seen before. What would a larger one do for me? Thanks!!

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Rather than fiddle with pressure switch settings to try to reduce cycling, you would be far better off to put in a Cycle Stop Valve.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Hello Drip.

Welcome to Terry's Forums.

I agree with maybe a need for a Cycle Stop Valve. If it is worth the cost.

But exceeding the pressure or volume that your pump and well can make safely, Is not a good idea. May see other problems.

20 PSI Difference is normal, and I would not change it. Only adjust the Big Spring, if at all.

Good Luck on your project.

DonL

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A Square D switch can’t do 55/65. Plus that would only be using half of the tank that is already too small. Loosening all the way on the small adjustment will give you the minimum differential from that switch, which is probably about 15 or 17 PSI. You can go up to 45/65 with that switch. Adding a Cycle Stop Valve will hold your pressure steady at 60 PSI while you are using water. That way you won’t see the annoying swings from 45 to 65 and 65 to 45 over and over again, that will also destroy your pump. The CSV and your small tank will do a better job than the largest tank you can buy. Big tanks are a thing of the past. Constant pressure is what people want to see in their homes, and a CSV will do that for you.

DonL

Reaction score
Yes, What valveman said...

Do-it be done... If you really think that you have a problem.

DonL

Drip

Reaction score
Great!! I just wanted to raise the 40psi, the 60psi is ok. Is a csv difficult to install or expensive? I'm originally from Houston-- Ever heard of Bill Henry super plumber of Pinehurst? Thanks, Drip

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
I think that you can purchase a CSV in your area. An adjustable CSV will cost you about $200.00 and will keep your pump from cycling and will give you constant pressure. Almost anyone from Kansas can install a CSV. Look up http://www.cyclestopvalves.com or call them. Anyone there can walk you through the installation and adjustment. You'll love the constant pressure.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Great!! I just wanted to raise the 40psi, the 60psi is ok.
As was mentioned, most switches have a dfferential of around 20 PSI so it might not even be possible. Even if it were possible you would cause the pump to cycle more and for shorter periods, both of which will spell death for the pump.

DonL

Reaction score
Nice link ballvalve. Thank You.

I think that $200 is to much for a regulator, for home use. Not a necessity for me. But having running water is.

Just to have water is a luxury that a lot of people don't have.

I think people get spoiled to easily...

Have a Great Day.

DonL

Last edited:

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Set your water pressure 80 to 200psi and use a 60 psi regulator on the house - now thats constant pressure and less cycling!

DonL

Reaction score
50 PSI is fine for most people.

When I was running 60, My girlfriend said it was to much.

Running more pressure causes other problems, with pluming.

Having the proper size piping helps more than increased pressure.

DonL

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks