Sprung for a Toto...not thrilled

Users who are viewing this thread

dean leonard

Reaction score
Hi there to everyone. Thanks for all the great info here. After reading and doing reasearch, we decided to spend a few dollars more and go with a Toto drake while remodeling our old bathroom. We live in rural Ohio so we had to drive over an hour to find a dealer. The floor guys finished up yesterday and I was fired up to install this new throne when I got home from work. So after supper I started in... It went very well (happy to say)....but after about the 5th flush the fill valve would not shut off.....it is the non adjustable one, with '528' stamped on it. I'm thinking that I'll just go replace the stinkin valve tomorrow...and add another 10 or 15 bucks to the cost of the dang thing. I will call the dealer tomorrow, just to let them know.....but it's not worth the hassle to have the dealer send me a new valve and we NEED this bathroom. I've read the Korky 528T is a good replacement?? Any idea why this thing malfunctioned? I went with Toto for the quality, now I am wondering. dang.

Last edited:

dean leonard

Reaction score
Well, I found a link to service instructions to the valve (posted by wjcandee a while back) that I am going to try....maybe some dirt or something is a problem...

Edit to add: Water is leaking around one of the 'fins' on the body of the valve....like the plastic has split. I'll try to find a replacement tomorrow. Disappointed.... I was super careful with this thing and didn't want to screw something up. I saw the warning on the packaging not to grab the valve when moving the tank....and I didn't. I'm sure it is a great toilet, but this has not been a real good experience, so far.

edited again, because I really can't spell.

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
First thing to check is the cap on the fill valve. Of course, it's possible the valve is defective, but don't blame to toilet for that. Look at the inside of the cap to see if there are any holes in the rubber. Then check the tube under the cap. Could very well be something just didn't get assembled right.

dean leonard

Reaction score
First thing to check is the cap on the fill valve. Of course, it's possible the valve is defective, but don't blame to toilet for that. Look at the inside of the cap to see if there are any holes in the rubber. Then check the tube under the cap. Could very well be something just didn't get assembled right.

I understand it is just a faulty valve (I had the valve out of the tank and it does apper that there is a small split in the plasic housing), but it sure is something I didn't expect and a little dissapointed in, after deciding to pay for what I consider to be, a premium product. I realize the toilet is more than just the valve.....and hopefully this will be an easy enough fix....and this toilet will still end up being a great purchase.....I'm just a little frustrated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks