Sprinklers worked, now not at all. For no apparent reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Jason Burbank

Reaction score
My sprinklers worked fine a month ago and then I turned them off at the timer because it was raining. Now I've tried to turn them back on to no avail. I reset the timer, didn't work. I even tried to turn them on manually both at the timer and manually at the valve by turning the little knob. I'm totally stumped. The main water line seems to be turned on too. In fact it was never shut off. Also, some of the sprinkler head are still "up in the air" and have not retracted into the ground and won't go down when I try to push them back down. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Deurgo

Reaction score
Hi Jason,

In relation to your system - is it a solenoid controlled system? has there been any water damage to the cabling or the timer system? Can you remove the sprinkler head and check for debris that has perhaps been caught underneath?
As you know, most pop up sprinklers are spring loaded and should release back inside the sprinkler when the water supply is shut off so if this is happening, something may be wrong with your sprinklers themselves.
Would it be possible to see some photos of your system or at least the affected components? Perhaps then I can help you a bit more.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Do you have a well or city water? If the sprinklers pop up but no water coming out, they could be plugged up with debris. It is very common for pop up not to go back down because the gasket around the pop up part is very stiff and it offers a lot of friction, therefore, the spring inside the sprinkler is not strong enough to pull it back down.

BUT, this is with sprinklers turned off and stepping on then they will go down. If they do not go down with the timer on and pop right back up, then you have water behind them and the heads are plugged up. Under the screw off spray head there is usually a filter but many remove them.

Part number 2, the inter white ring is a seal that hardens. Below are pictures of the spray heads with filters that thread onto part #4

upload_2017-4-1_1-17-59.png

upload_2017-4-1_1-15-3.png

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
One possibility is the ground wire. The ground wire is common for all valves, it's just linked one to another. May not be the problem but one that you might check.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks