Sprinkler zone wouldn't stop

Users who are viewing this thread

Maddog

Engineer
Reaction score
Have a timer with 5 zones active. One of the zones would not stop this morning. Tried to stop sprinklers manually by turning off the timer, but water would not shut off. Had to turn off water to irrigation system to stop the sprinkler. Is this most likely a problem with the anti-siphon valve getting stuck open? Or a problem with the timer? Sorry for the lack of details. Thanks much for your help.

Attachments

• valve.jpg
    valve.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 783
Last edited:

Maddog

Engineer
Reaction score
I'm thinking it's the anti-siphon valve. Came home and unplugged timer - turned on water and the sprinklers came on again. The solenoid looks a bit corroded and probably has dirt or something inside. Will replace and see what happens.

R

Rancher

The valve operates by that solenoid opening a bypass orifice, which causes the main valve to spring open. If you get a grain of sand in the solenoid-orifice seat, the valve will not turn off.

Solution, unscrew the solenoid, clean it out.

Rancher

Maddog

Engineer
Reaction score
Unfortunately, removing/cleaning the solenoid didn't do it. A replacement solenoid at HD was almost as much as a new valve, so I replaced the valve - and I'm back in business. Thanks much for the input. -dog

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks