Sprinkler zone valve size

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by jwachtel, Jun 13, 2009.

1. jwachtel

jwachtel New Member

Jun 13, 2009
    I have a sandpoint irrigation well with a 2" supply to the pump and a 1-1/2" output. That is reduced down to 1" PVC which supplies 5 zone valves (Rainbird 1", 24V). I then have 1" poly main lines for each zone with 1/2" branching off the the individual sprinkler heads. I have neighbors that have similar pump setups with the exception that they use quarter-turn ball valves and manually start their pumps to water their lawns and their sprinklers seem to have better pressure and coverage than mine. My question is, would I improve my system performance by removing the 1-1/2" to 1" reduction and run 1-1/2" PVC into my valve box and replace the 1" valves with 1-1/2" valves. I'm wondering if the 1" valves are causing me a greater friction loss than my neighbors are seeing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  2. upper

upper DIY Senior Member

May 30, 2009
    Fresno, CA
    How many sprinklers per zone? How much water does each sprinkler want to use? Upper
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement