Sprinkler stuck in Zone 1. Won't turn off.

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by jad0807, Jul 24, 2011.

1. jad0807

jad0807 New Member

I have a 6 zone system. The valves are spread across the yard, not centralized. When I start the system, zone 1 turns on like normal, however it won't move on to zone 2. So, I turn the water off from the Shut Off valve a the street.

I go back inside and turn the system off at the control box. I go back to the street and turn the water back on. Now water is trickling out of the sprinkler heads in zone 1 with the sprinkler system turned off.

Any suggestions?
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  2. BobL43

BobL43 DIY Senior Member

There may also be a problem with the timer as you wrote this, but it sounds like your main problem is the valve for zone 1 in my opinion, is sticking open.
  3. jad0807

jad0807 New Member

Is it the cellanoid or the diaphragm? Or should I replace both? or the whole valve?
  4. mike1059

mike1059 irrigation tech.

the problem in zone 1 is the diaphragm. after replacing it you should be able to see if you have another problem with the controller.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

A more pressing problem is that if you have to turn off the water at the street, you must NOT have the required backflow preventer, since it would have TWO shutoffs and you could turn off either one to stop the flow from the sprinklers.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

A more pressing problem is that if you have to turn off the water at the street, you must NOT have the required backflow preventer, since it would have TWO shutoffs and you could turn off either one to stop the flow from the sprinklers.