Sprinkler pump won't prime

Users who are viewing this thread

lsc87

Reaction score
I have a new 1.5 hp sprinkler pump to draw surface water. The pump is next to the lake, with 12 feet of 2" hose between the pump and water, with a checkvalve at the end of the pipe. The vertical distance is 3 feet. Then I have 70 feet of 1 1/4 inch pvc going to the sprinklers.

I had it working once, and it easily primed by turning on the city water (which is still cut into the sprinklers via a valve with backflow) and letting the city water fill the discharge pipe and pump. The water will also flow into the intake pipe in this way.

I dont' have a T pipe at the pump. I know this would work too, but filling the outflow pipe IS filling the pump. I looked at the checkvalve and it's facing the correct way. Even without it wouldn't draw.

What am I doing wrong?

thanks
Doug

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
The line from the lake to the pump should be always rising. If there is a high spot (a hump) in the suction line it will collect air and will not pump efficiently if at all.

If there is a leak in the suction line it will lose prime.

You usually want a valve to let the air out of the discharge side of the pump when it is getting started.

If the pump is not staying full of water when the pump is off, then the suction side pipe or the check valve is leaking.

If the discharge pipe has an outlet that is lower than the top of the pump then the water can dribble out and cause loss of prime.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks