Sprinkler Pump lost/losing prime? (Florida)

Discussion in 'Irrigation / Sprinkler Forum' started by Kristof Ferenczi, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Kristof Ferenczi

Kristof Ferenczi New Member

Hi, I have a Utilitech sprinkler pump 1 1/2 HP. Moved into this Florida home last year, had this sprinkler system already installed. Problem is, at first everything went fine I guess. Go water flowing fast enough etc. Now I keep having to reprime to water my lawn every time I need it on. It loses pressure on the gauge the nest day and the water isn't being sucked through after even 5 minutes. I haven't check to the suction lines yet underground but there aren't any leaks in the suction line above ground leading to the pump. I have pictures of the system. Thanks!

PICS: http://s1264.photobucket.com/user/K...kler/DSCF3205_zpsc99e5ea7.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
  2. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

Bad check valve or leak in suction line.

John
  3. Kristof Ferenczi

I pulled up about 45 feet of piping from the well and I cut off the check valve at the beginning of the pipe. ( I wanted to see if there was anything wrong below the well) Turns out the check valve is indeed leaking when I pour water into it so I'll replace that and see if it works. Thank you.
  4. johnjh2o1

Why did you pull the well? The check valve was on top of the well.

John
  5. Kristof Ferenczi

I know, but I wanted to check the footvalve to see if that was ok or not. The check valve wouldn't have come off unless I pulled up a part of the piping anyway. I'll be able to couple em back together with couplings right?
  6. johnjh2o1

All you had to do was cut the PVC and unscrew and replace the check valve.

John
  7. Kristof Ferenczi

The morons who installed the check valve GLUED the slip adapter into the check valve :\ Is it bad that I pulled the pipes up? :eek: