Sprinkler head problem

Users who are viewing this thread

tomtom

Reaction score
I have Rain Bird rotor sprinklers installed in my backyard. One of the sprinklers will not turn when all others will. Is there something I could quickly check?

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I've had the occasional rotor which didn't turn, and I just manually turned it back and forth a couple times until it started to move again.

In the end, though, this is usually a sign that the head needs to be replaced.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If these are the kind with a large case with a lid, you can get replacement innards. You will need a special tool that will grasp the hex nut at the base of the rotor.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
All rotors eventually fail no mater what brand. Some seem to last forever and some last maybe a year. I only changed out a Rainbird brand just the other day and do all fail the same, stop rotating where the head goes counter clockwise to clockwise rotation, There easy to replace but do cost $8-$18 each.

wayneda

Reaction score
Website
sprinklerbros.com
It may be that the rotor has debris blocking the gears causing it not to rotate. Try carefully taking out the insides and rinsing them with water to get all the dirt and rocks out.

Another likely cause is that the sprinkler is worn out and the gears inside are stripped. If this is the case, you will need to replace the sprinkler. Eventually you will have sprinkler heads that will fail, just replace them.

Wayne
Sprinkler Bros

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks