Sprinkler Gate Valve Repair/Replace (or use a Ball valve?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Geobrick

Reaction score
I have a brass gate valve in the main sprinkler line, 15 years old, that's currently functioning fine but had a small leak around the packing nut. I tightened the nut and it seems better now but I have several questions going forward.

1) On a 15 year old valve, will tightening the packing nut be a long term solution or should I replace the packing washer (or replace the hole valve)?

2) If I replace the valve, should I go with a ball valve (it's a 1" valve).

3) If I need to replace the valve, can someone provide a link to a description of how to insert a new valve into the line in this situation?
The brass valve is coupled to PVC so if I cut the valve out, I'm not sure how to assemble it back with a new valve without being able to move one side of the pipe enough to slide it into a PVC coupler. The line has already been assembled (underground) so it's unlikely I could move either side of the pipe. I assume a union is required. Do they make a union for this purpose?

The picture was taken before I tightened the packing nut.
Sprinkler-Gate-Valve-IMG_2109.jpg

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
1. 15 years is not that old.
2. If you want to replace, go with a 1/4 turn valve.
3. To replace the valve: cut the PVC pipe on both ends of the valve. If the pipe is unmovable, opt for a by pass like this: install an elbow on one cut end, short pipe, another elbow, short pipe, male adapter, the valve, male adapter, short pipe, elbow, short pip and an elbow the the other end.

Simple? told you so.

Let dry according to the PVC cement info on the label before turning the water on.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are adjustable connectors for this type of repair. Done both ways, the latter is the simplest. These connectors should be available at any irrigation supply. Yes, use a 1/4 turn ball valve.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The real answer is that you should NOT replace the valve, period. Your system should be connected to a "pressure back flow preventer" valve, and IT has its own valves. From the PVP you continue with PVC to your system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks