Spray vs Air Injector for Aeration

Users who are viewing this thread

Matt Helm

Non-pro Polymath
Reaction score
I am putting together an aeration tank. I would like to avoid using a venturi air injector. So, I am planning on filling the tank from the top with agricultural spray nozzles (sized appropriately for GPM and PSI).

Thoughts?

Matt Helm

Non-pro Polymath
Reaction score
Filtered vent to the outside.

As the tank is drawn down (by a jet pump that is charging the pressure tank), fresh air is drawn into the aeration tank. During the next fill cycle, air is expelled.

I am hoping to avoid a powered vent, but it isn't a big deal if I can't.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Ah, so... non-pressurized hold tank. Is the aeration to remove smell or to precipitate iron? If for iron, then your jet pump will clog up with iron and need frequent cleaning.

Matt Helm

Non-pro Polymath
Reaction score
Here is a very simplified overview. It does not show the air vent, filtration, or control circuitry.

I threw this drawing together for a vendor that I was thinking of getting some parts from.

Simple Aerator.jpg

Matt Helm

Non-pro Polymath
Reaction score
Ah, so... non-pressurized hold tank. Is the aeration to remove smell or to precipitate iron? If for iron, then your jet pump will clog up with iron and need frequent cleaning.

For hydrogen sulfide and some other noxious gas. It may be that elemental sulfur will also be an issue with the pump. That is beyond my knowledge.

Edited to add: I am planning on multiple stages of filtration between the jet pump and the pressure tank. Coarser for elemental sulfur produced by the aeration and finer for some colloidal clay issues that I am still playing with.

Last edited:

Rjh2o

Reaction score
The aeration/settling tank and any filtration needs to go AFTER the pressure tank. You can the use a Multi-Media backwashing filter to remove particulate matter. The way you have this designed at this point can potentially cause issues with the jet pump operation and pressure switch.
RJ

Matt Helm

Non-pro Polymath
Reaction score
The way you have this designed at this point can potentially cause issues with the jet pump operation and pressure switch.
RJ

How so? From the amount of oxidized iron?

Matt Helm

Non-pro Polymath
Reaction score
install a safety float controlled submersible pump in the aerator tank that comes on/off with the pressure switch on the pressure tank.

I like it (I was going to have a couple float switches anyway).

Ok to mount a submersible horizontally? Or, is that bad for the bearings/bushings/shaft?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks