Split tub to shower help!

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Diamondintheruff, May 16, 2007.

1. Diamondintheruff

Diamondintheruff New Member

Frist off Hello All!@
    here is my issue. I just bought a house with a whirlpool style bath tub and NO shower (how these people lived with out a good shower i dunno) so my question is is it possible to some how add a shower head to it? the faucet is already built into the tub ? i am sure it is possble i am just looking for someone to guide me in the dirition of what plumbing parts it will take to make it possbile to add a shower head to this set up?
    Thanks!!!:D
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Please post a picture if you can. If you have a conventional tub filler spout, you could replace that with one which has a fitting to attach a hand-held hose, which can be placed in a bracket up on the wall.

If you have a roman tub filler, this will not be so easy.

I would have some concern as to whether the walls were built to accept water as in a shower.
  3. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

Spout with Shower Adapter

This is what Jimbo is talking about, but it will probably only work if you have a standard tub spout.

Attached Files:

4. Diamondintheruff

AH yes i am not sure what a roman one looks like could somoene please post a pic for me? i am going to have the house inspected within the next 5 days i will try and snap a pic for you guys to see! Thanks! :D
  5. Diamondintheruff

:EDIT: well i looked up what a roman one looks like and no i for sure have a standard. now the question is do they screw off or do u need somesort of puller? thanks guys!
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Spouts either are screw-on or push on. If it has a set screw that holds it from the bottom somewhere, it is push on. If it has no holes with an accessable screw, it is probably a screw on. One, you just unscrew. The other, loosen the set screw and pull it off. In either case, you might have to cut through some caulking before you can remove it.
  7. Diamondintheruff

8. the way the walls were built will determine how well water slips away when it seeps under the tiles. Under the caulking where the tiled wall meets the tub, there may be a lot of mold later. I wouldn't worry about it. Just in case you wanted to know. Now that the tub is becoming a tub-shower. I wouldn't let the shower spray onto the walls much.

david