Split/Merged Supply to Water Heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

stanbasie

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to understand my plumbing, and I'm confused by the cold water supply to the water heater.

It appears that some work was done at some point to run copper to the water heater (presumably for the health of the appliance), but it also seems the old run of galvanized (still supplying most of the house fixtures) is merged back to the new copper line right before the water heater.

What would the purpose of this be? Or was this just some oversight or mistake? Can/should the old galvanized "half" of the water heater supply be removed?

Thanks in advance!

Cold Water Supply.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I assume the gray is galvanized since you do not specify which is which. Someone decided to install a "balancing loop" instead of replacing the galvanized piping. It is "backfeeding" the systm at the point where it connects at the water heater in an attempt to maximize the system's dynamic pressure. You can replace ALL of the galvanized piping if you want to go the work or repiping all the connections.

stanbasie

Reaction score
Thank you! This makes sense now, and knowing what to call it is already making the internet search easier.

Of course I want to replace that galvanized (color key is lower left of diagram, btw), but is it advisable to retain this balancing loop? Would my shower pressure go down if this loop were eliminated?

Thanks again....

stanbasie

Reaction score
It's a small one-bath home, and both the existing copper and the service line appear to be 3/4".

Thanks for the chart--Is this a just matter of adding up fixture demand and making sure the upstream pipe meets the minimum size for the cumulative sum? Does the water heater have any additional demand other than the sum of all the hot water fixtures?

I've tried this math/method (working backwards from the fixtures) and am coming up with a total of 20.0 for the house. (The new diagram illustrates my math and what I *think* the sizing should be.) Does this mean I need to plan on upgrading to a 1" service line? (Sounds like adding an additional bath would make this a necessity.)

Thanks again!

(Update: Moved new diagram to new thread since original question regarding balancing loop was already answered.)

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There are several ways you can do it.
1. Remove the galvanized and connect everything to the copper line
2. Keep the copper line and replace the galvanized with copper.
3. Remove the galvanized and replace it with PEX keeping the copper line.
ertc, etc.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks