Splicing in-pipe heat-trace?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ron Harding

Reaction score
My lake water intake has an in-pipe heat-trace for freeze-protection. I know that now. I wish I had known before I cut through the pipe with a hack-saw to install some quick-disconnects. I knew the cottage had a heated water intake, but I thought it was the unconnected section of insulated pipe I found in the crawlspace. Apparently that was the _old_ heated water intake. :(

Turns out in-pipe heat-trace cable like that costs around $1000. :eek:

So, the question now is can I splice the heat trace? It appears to be some kind of mineral-insulated cable. I've seen kits for splicing MI cables, but I'm not sure if there are any that are usable inside a pipe where it will be constantly submerged in water.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I have spliced the cable with various results. But crimp inline connectors and shrink tube should work, maybe silicone in the assembly first.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks