Spin down filters

Users who are viewing this thread

Jarniscipus

Reaction score
I need help sizing a Rusco spin down filter and mesh size and have 2 questions:

Rusco says that you need a minimum flow on these types of filters to make the spin down action work - i.e. a 1.5" filter requires > 10 GPM to spin down. I currently have a 1.5" that works that I am replacing..but it does clog up and am wondering if it is sized properly.

Q1 - Filter size, 1" or 1.5"

I have 1" supply from my well, unknown GPM from the well. The filter will feed both my 1" irrigation branch and my 3/4" house supply branch. I know for sure my well pump puts out >10GPM, actually a lot more than that from it's ability to run many large sprinkler heads, so the 1.5" would work when the irrigation is running, however, typical home use is less than <10GPM. With the 1" supply should I use the 1" filter or does the 1.5" with reducing bushings give me an advantage over the 1", or will I loose the spin down function? I wonder why did they install the 1.5" on the 1" supply, more filter area, less time to cleaning, or do these filter restrict below a 1" supply? Which is best?

Q2 - Mesh size:

What is a good mesh size, the 250 mesh does not trap that much stuff, so the well water is pretty clean and I flush the filter every few months and clean it by hand, but it does gunk up with extremely fine silt and there are a few sand and iron flecks here and there.

Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks