spigot-style flange that fits into 3" hub: waxless seal options or toilet options

Users who are viewing this thread

Tim222

Reaction score
Because of some structural issues in the floor joists due to long-term moisture damage, we had to sister the waste-pipe bay joists with LVL, reducing the cross-section space between them; a 4" waste elbow wouldn't fit inside, and we had to transition the 4" waste pipe to a 3-inch elbow. Maybe there were other options but that's the way it is now.

I have a spigot style toilet flange which would get solvent welded into the hub of the 3" elbow. Dry-fitted and screwed securely to the plywood subflooring, the rim of the flange is a little shy of being perfectly flush with the tile.

I should be good-to-go, but the 3" spigot flange isn't perfectly compatible with the Fernco flexible black rubber waxless seal. The seal sits a smidgen, maybe just 1/8" inch too high, and the toilet rocks slightly. A Fluidmaster hard plastic waxless sits even higher in the spigot flange.

I cannot lower the waste pipe. Wish I could, but the supports on which it's resting are inside the patched foyer ceiling.

Before I resort to a wax seal, or install a thermoplastic gasket to raise the toilet up a tad, I'd like to know if there are other waxless seals that might have a slightly lower profile. Is there one that's made to be more compatible with the spigot-style flanges?

If not, are there toilets whose horn is higher off the floor? The horn of our Kohler toilet is pretty much flush with its base. I was unable to get drawings that contained any detail about a toilet's horn. Are they all the same?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
No, not all toilets' horns are created equal. But, given that, IF the toilet will sit flat on the floor without any seal, then I'd just use a wax ring and be done with it. The waxless is handy if you intend to remove the toilet for say painting or several times during a remodel, but wax rings are cheap, and they work fine. I'd avoid one with a funnel in it: first, while not thick, if you have minimal room, it might hold the toilet up, and second, with a restricted opening, it might get pinched closed and give you all sorts of grief.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks