Special Receptacles for Three Sets of Wires?

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
I'm wondering if they make a receptacle with 3 sets of screws and not just 2? This is to avoid a pigtail with three pieces of 12-2 coming into a receptacle box.

Thank in Advance!

ActionDave

Electrician
Reaction score
Not that I have seen. If you get an old recpt. that will still allow 12AWG for backstabs you could stab two sets of the wires and wrap the third around the screws.

What is the issue with pigtailling? Wire nuts are easy to come by. Box fill calcs do not include them. I think it is easier to stuff all of the wires back into the box and attach the device to the lone pigtails reaching out to greet me.

Molo

Reaction score
Not that I have seen. If you get an old recpt. that will still allow 12AWG for backstabs you could stab two sets of the wires and wrap the third around the screws.

What is the issue with pigtailling? Wire nuts are easy to come by. Box fill calcs do not include them. I think it is easier to stuff all of the wires back into the box and attach the device to the lone pigtails reaching out to greet me.

I'm thinking that the box will be more packed with the wire nuts, but maybe not. With pigtails the outlet won't be wired "in series" which is a plus.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They make outlets with two rear openings, but the wires are secured by clamping them with the screw, NOT "back stabbing" them, so you could put a wire under the screw head before tightening it.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Most quality receptacles these days ( not the 69 cent puppies) have what is called the "backwire" feature. At each screw location, you can insert TWO wires which are clamped when the screw is tightened. Thus you can have up to 4 blacks and 4 whites.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks