Sound Proofing a Waste Pipe (PICS included)

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I have a waste line from the upstairs bathroom in the ceiling of my new basement bathroom.
I will be boxing in the waste line (like a soffit).

But I wanted to know if anyone had any tips for adding some soundproofing to the soffit.

When the upstairs toilet flushes, it is quite loud in the basement bathroom.

Thanks.
mm

Attachments

• waste pipe 2..jpg
    waste pipe 2..jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 822
  • waste pipe1..jpg
    waste pipe1..jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 838

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
We are predisposed to dislike persons named michael moore....but we will assume you are not THAT michael moore!!!!!

ABS pipe is prone to be noisy, compared to cast iron. Lining the soffit, and/or surrounding the pipe, with fiberglas insulation will help the sound. The pipe is maybe to low for more sophisticated soundproofing techniques which involve layers of soundboard separated by air space, and the outer layer separated from the inner studs and joists.

Reaction score
thats kinda the problem too....
the pipe is so low, there wont be much room (especially on the bottom) after i box it in.
i will try to stuff some fiberglass in there...

thanks.

and, no, i'm not THAT michael moore........but, I'll be honest......I'll take his money, but he can keep his politics.

thanks.
mm

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Like Terry said that T fitting should be a wye.

Cut out the T fitting and replace it with a wye and see if you can raise up the drainage at all and then possibly 45* back down to the grade it's currently at. This may give you a bit more room for sound proofing and boxing it in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks