Something special, or just 1†pvc?

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by Old Fart, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Old Fart

Old Fart New Member

I am trying to find a new “32mm distributor pipe†about 4&1/2 ft. long.
    The parts list states “32mm & 50mm pipe not available from Clackâ€.
    Does that mean it is a common material or is this something that I need order out of Canada? I think they use metric stuff.
    It looks somewhat like 1†sch. 40 pvc water line that Depot carries.
  2. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

The distributor tube comes with the softener/filter already cut to fit. Any independent dealer can make you one.
  3. Old Fart

Old Fart New Member

I am trying to help out the neighbor next to my rental. My local dealers (2) would like him to replace his softener with one of their Erie or Rainsoft units that they sell & service. But if he is going to keep up the DIY stuff, he should junk the Clack valve and replace it with one of their Performa or Fleck valves. They told him he could get parts anywhere, including online for them. Clack was not a good valve for DIYer.
    I can stop and see them next week. I bought supplies from both of them last Monday after Gary sorted out my garnet – gravel issue. Maybe they will be a little less hostile towards me.
  4. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

32mm pipe size is 1-1/4".
  5. Old Fart

Old Fart New Member

I GOOFED, I am bad.

The Clack parts list called it “32mm distributor pipeâ€, I know better.
    In the US, pipe is measured by I.D., tubing is called out by O.D.

Gary was right in calling it a tube.

It needs to be 32mm outside diameter.
  6. Gary Slusser

Any dealer can get a 1.25" distributor tube from their supplier/distributor, Clack and Fleck valves both use them.
  7. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

32 mm is 1.259 inches, a bit larger than 1-1/4
  8. Old Fart

Old Fart New Member

Thankyou. That’s good information, both dealers have fleck parts. Now I can tell them what I am looking for and not have to ask what I need, this is good.
    Yesterday I found the trade name “Tuff Stuff’ on the tube of the iron filter I was cleaning up before installing my new gravel and media. I found it belonged to the plastic company Mattson-Will and they do make 32mm distributor tubes for flecks. Better than me cutting 1.5mm’s off the diameter of a piece of 1†pvc water pipe on the lathe.
  9. Gary Slusser

Regular industry standard DTs are 1.05" OD, or standard 1" sch X0 pipe.

A residential sized softener rarely needs a 1.25" control valve. Regular 1" control valves have enough flow unless you have yerself a mansion sized house.
  10. Old Fart

Old Fart New Member

No mansion, maybe smaller than your motor home. It’s next to my rental, typical starter home, same as my rental except it has a “paradise†room in the basement. The young man next door told me the inspector required the seller to replace the softener control valve when they bought the place a couple of years back because it was undersized for the paradise room.

The local dealer told me this morning only fleck uses 32mm tubes in the US. Clack uses a 1.32†tube which is standard sch40 1†PVC pipe size. He carries a better grade tube meant for water softeners and will cut it to whatever size I need. He thought I was reading a UK manual. He shown me that in his parts book that metric 32mm valves have a gray ring at the bottom. And if it does, he can order that tube as well.

I need to formally introduce the neighbor and this dealer and slip out of the middle of this.